Buick 6 coming back home

I think if you check the Production Sheet you will find McLaughlin built and shipped to the United Kingdom and the USA. This Question is do you know who built it or where it was built. I worked for GM Canada for 32 years and GM Canada shipped CKD Customs Knock Down. This was to build the car totally and leave the steering wheel off. making it a car to complete in the UK. Buick and McLaughlin Buick's were like VW and Cadillac . A.P.Sloan had McLaughlin's Buick hid at the New York Car show in case every one thought it was what a Buick was in the USA. Mark if you have no idea it is not unusual for people in the USA thinking Buick was only built in the USA

Edited by P.M.O. (see edit history)
Just been to the Chapelton Steam and Vintage Fair in North Devon and just for fun thought my youtube link may be of interest.

:)

Mike I was born in England in 1939 went to Canada in 1947 was in R.C.N. 57 to 60 started work in GM of Canada . Here is a Build document on Canadian built cars from 1908 .do you know where your car was built?

post-70388-143138315899_thumb.jpg

Hi there

My car was imported back from Australia (New South Wales) and I believe it was built as a chassis in Flint and bodied by Holden in Australia, presumably as it was an export model this is why it is right hand drive which comes in handy over here!

You are right though in that a lot of Buicks were built in England I think in the 20s and 30s and were extremely popular.

best regards, Mike

Mike McLaughlin Car Company built cars for the Commonwealth and for Holden in Australia because it was part of the Commonwealth there was no tariff on the cars shopped at that time. in 1918 this plant became General Motors of Canada.

Mike McLaughlin Car Company built cars for the Commonwealth and for Holden in Australia because it was part of the Commonwealth there was no tariff on the cars shopped at that time. in 1918 this plant became General Motors of Canada.

No.

Some McLaughlin Buicks from the early 20's were imported to Australia but they were complete cars and the bodies were very upmarket when compared to the local Australian ( Holden ) bodies. It seems they were possibly imported by an individual dealership.

The stripped chassis imported by General Motors Australia ( later to become GM-H or General Motors Holden ) were manufactured and shipped from the United States and had locally built Holden bodies fitted.

This was true in most cases but GM found it to be cheaper to have Canada ship to the Commonwealth because Canada was a part of it. McLaughlin shipped to England Chassis and China. Yes you are right McLaughlin built with pride but GM has taken McLaughlin out of it's History by declaring McLaughlin GM of Canada from 1908 and not 1918.

This was true in most cases but GM found it to be cheaper to have Canada ship to the Commonwealth because Canada was a part of it. McLaughlin shipped to England Chassis and China. Yes you are right McLaughlin built with pride but GM has taken McLaughlin out of it's History by declaring McLaughlin GM of Canada from 1908 and not 1918.

Not quiet sure what your point is but sticking to where stripped chassis were sourced by GMH Australia.

According to your data in 1935 General Motors Canada produced a total of 3272 Buicks for Domestic and Export sales that year.

Holden supplied and fitted bodies to 1156 stripped chassis in 1935.

Are you suggesting more than a third of these Canadian vehicles were shipped to Australia?

Are you suggesting the stripped chassis recorded as being produced and exported from the US ( Flint ) are in fact units produced and exported from Canada? A quick tally of stripped chassis exported in 1935 gives a figure of 3296 units ( figures ex The Buick A Complete History, Dunham & Gustin ) which exceeds the total Canadian production for that year.

I haven't previously heard of Buick stripped chassis being sourced from Canada and any Canadian built vehicles ( and there are some survivors here ) all seem to be well marked as McLaughlin.

I will get back to you on what I Can Find , I do know up until 1922 McLaughlin built on chassis from GM 4 and 6 cylinder and the Oakland light 6. I would say Canada didn't ship chassis any ware you are right. Chevrolet started McLaughlin based in 1915 and in 1923 McLaughlin -Buick's were imported into England as plain Buick's. Canadian-built cars paid duty 22 2/9ths per cent and US was 33 1/2, England Buick's were Named Empress,Majestic, Monarch and Piccadilly to show their Imperial origins but were more like Detroit built Buick's.Then in 1935 The Autocar wrote one of the best known Canadian built, American designed cars in the country.Buick then dropped the McLaughlin name in 1942. We shipped into the UK CKD as the plant was building left and right hand cars into the late 1960's. I worked for GM Canada from 1961 to 1994. John

I cannot add to the discussion really apart from saying my car has a Holden badge down on the B post area. I have been telling people the chassis was made in Flint. Am I more likely right than wrong?

Mike

that is a yes for flint GM or McLaughlin did ship to the Commonwealth built CKD . Flint shipped chassis to Canada ( McLaughlin)