Motor Mounts

padgett

Does anyone have a good dimensioned picture of the motor mounts used in 1988 ? The blue car seems to have bad one on the radiator side either the one under the dogbone by the radiator (most likely) or the one by the a/c compressor.

The one under the starter seems to be a 17998659 but the cross (Anchor 2676) does not look right. The other is a 16444101. There is also mention of a 179895604. Since these were used for ZRivieras also I would expect Anchor to have one.

I did find an Anchor 2943 but am not sure which one this is. Also several at RacePages but need to know which is which please. Too much data and not enough information.

Guest Richard D

Padgett, what is the failure mode of a motor mount? Vibration in the structure? Engine rocking to far? Back when the engines were installed pointing front I would always check a car I was considering by putting it in drive with one foot firmly on the brake then apply throttle until engine lifted and stopped, the tried reverse to check the passenger side. I found many that were driving around with broken mounts. If I remember some GM muscle cars had a steel safety cable to keep the engine fan from hitting the shroud when a mount broke. Later models had hooks built into the mounts to limit travel. Always wondered how to tell with an east-west mounted engine.

Richard

Firefox,

Can you share those part nos and approximate cost for the rest of the 88 owners? I sure would appreciate it; I think I need a driver's side mount; thanks.

Ron

Guest Greg Ross

The right front mount under the A/C compressor is the "big" fluid filled block mount. The other front mount would be a tranny mount and I cannot recall what it looked like.

So http://www.enginemountwarehouse.com/item.wws?sku=2943&itempk=667623&mfr=ANCHOR&weight=1 would be the

below the compressor mount.

And http://www.enginemountwarehouse.com/item.wws?sku=2943&itempk=667623&mfr=ANCHOR&weight=1 would be the right rear/ nearest the Oil filter/ mine also has a rigid strut at this corner.

Edited by Greg Ross (see edit history)

Firefox,

Can you share those part nos and approximate cost for the rest of the 88 owners? I sure would appreciate it; I think I need a driver's side mount; thanks.

Ron

will get them tuesday and post when I get home

These are the two I have found so far but the nonenclature is confusing. Think both are on the radiator side but not sure which is which. Also know there are [one|two|?] more but only found under Riviera. Of the 2548 and the 2779, on one site it looks like the 2779 might have an offset on one of the lower studs but no listings seem to be dimensioned.

Greg: both of your links seem to be the 2943...

post-31022-143138309214_thumb.jpg

post-31022-14313830923_thumb.jpg

Edited by padgett (see edit history)

looks like a match to anchor 2943 car quest part # MOU 31-2943HY

HY for Hydraulic Mounts. Listed as engine mount RT motor.

will try to e-mail you the photo page

Trans mount listed as trans left part # MOU 31-3575

dog bone as torque strut part # MOU 31-3605

• 1 year later...

Attached shows the mounts and their GM part numbers. I have found OEM for all of them but they are very expensive.

Looking at the anchor site it seems:

Anchor 2691 = #20 ( 01646517 )

Anchor 2779 = #26 ( 17996396 )

Anchor 2943 = #13 ( 17998659 )

And of course Anchor 2662 is #4

post-32162-143139104789_thumb.jpg

Another post said that 17998659 had been made by LORD Corp. who makes really good stuff.. I doubt the after-market ones are so nice as the original had been. However I see OEM prices at over $500 for that one now.

Edited by Fox W. (see edit history)