Buick Riviera...The Movie.

stealthbob

Plot Synopsis:

The bitter violence that tore apart the Balkans is recreated in miniature thousands of miles away miniature in this psychological thriller. Hasan (Slavko Stimac) is a Muslim who was born and raised in the Bosnian city of Sarajevo; while he loved his homeland, when civil war broke out between Muslims and Serbians, he was forced to flee the country. Hasan ended up in North Dakota, where he's married to police officer Angela (Aimee Klein) and has been unable to find work. Life in the United States doesn't agree with Hasan, and one of the few things that brings him joy is his car, a carefully restored 1963 Buick Riviera. One snowy day, Hasan loses control of his Buick on the highway and ends up stranded

Trailer:

Seems very heavy and political...also not English. Just thought I'd mention it as some of you Riv lovers just might like to see a 63 on screen for a while....if you can ever find the movie.

:DStealthBob,

Not much of a background story, The production company contacted a local "car wrangler" looking for a first gen Riviera. They would not accept white or black so I got the nod. The car was trailered up to Fargo ND and they filmed the movie. After wrap up, the film was sent to NY for processing except someone forgot to let the authorities know there was film in the package and after it was Xrayed, one reel was ruined:o. They returned later in the year ( Nov/Dec ) to recreate the lost footage. I heard that the actors were not happy with the car as the heater did not work! Hey, I drive it in the summer, I don't need no stinkin' heater! There was some damage done to the interior but they paid for the repairs ( I saw a picture of the director, camara man and sound man ALL in the back seat:eek: Anyone who has rode in the back seat knows there are a bit tight ) I have seen scenes where the actors speak english ( "I give you $7000 for the Buick Riv." ) in your dreams, pal .:D

Edited by rivgs (see edit history)

Yes but Kevin has lots of his cars showing up on the big screen, and even in English speaking movies. See what happened to my Chev PU in "A Simple Plan" when Billy Bob Thornton drives it. Good thing they paid for the truck up front.

There's a warning in this for all of us. If your car ends up in either a feature film or commercial, the chances are VERY good that some damage will occur. The good news is your car will be famous for 15 seconds...the bad news is that it will probably be either mistreated of damaged. If you've ever been on a shoot, you know that there are legions of curious people, gaff poles, lighting boxes and all manner of things that can dent, scratch and scuff your car. Add to that the likelihood that somebody will either romp on it to see what it'll do or let it idle for so long it'll overheat. I'm in the business, trust me. People I work with are always asking me to use my cars. The ONLY time I'll do it is if I'm around it at all times and I'm the only person driving it. We are all tempted to see our prized possessions live on the big screen. Beware. PRL

Damage doesn't always occur, but Pete is right that odds are in favor it will. My 71 and 72 were used in the Nike "Fun police" commercial with Kevin Garnett. He was too tall to drive it, so he folded up into the passenger seat and one of his "posse" drove it . His fellow fun police members used the 71 ( they covered the seats in fake tiger skin-yeech ) The people making the comercial were VERY profesional and insisted either I or someone of my choosing would be there during filming to watch the car. You can see the commercial on You tube. Also, many members here in MN had their cars used in the movie Crossing the Bridge and Feeling Minnesota. I not aware of anyone having problems on either of those two films.

Edited by rivgs
spelling (see edit history)

Hi,

Your subject reminds me of my bronze mist/saddle 64 being used here in Iowa for the Bridges of Madison County, Clint Eastwood movie.

They used the car for 3 days with overnight guarded security in a grocery store parking lot, they drove it an average of 7 miles a day.

I got paid $75 cash for each day, and eventually a 1099 from Warner Brothers.

The car did not make it to the screen, so I don't know if the 7 miles a day were joy ride or cutting room floor.

No damage, and a meeting with Clint who thanked me for bringing the car and wished me a good time there at the shoot.

Alas, no bonus footage in the dvd release......

Dale

I remember sending the producer (?) a copy of a 73 Riviera dealer promo movie after (s?)he requested me several times... never heard anything about it afterwards.

• 6 months later...

For some of you "newbies" who may not have seen it. There's a video on YouTube called Buick Rivera Two Tons of Steel.

Take a look at it when you can. It features mostly boat tails, but there are photos of other Rivieras in it as well. There's some promotional advertising in it for a '73. Listen to it closely and you'll hear that it actually refers to a '63. From what I can tell, it was made in Holland and features mostly Dutch cars.

Ed

Guest nickdaytona

My '70 Chevelle was in " A Stroke of genius" with Greg Kinnear and also in an HBO mini series called the corporation. Lots of movie car work up here in canada.

Guest 75RivGS
For some of you "newbies" who may not have seen it. There's a video on YouTube called Buick Rivera Two Tons of Steel.

Take a look at it when you can. It features mostly boat tails, but there are photos of other Rivieras in it as well. There's some promotional advertising in it for a '73. Listen to it closely and you'll hear that it actually refers to a '63. From what I can tell, it was made in Holland and features mostly Dutch cars.

Ed

Years ago I made that compilation out of some photos, movies (you can even see my 75 towing the my 73 barn find) and footage of the 73 Buick Riviera dealer promo movie. (have the 73/74 and 75 Riviera and other B and C models of those same years).

I was aware that the song was about the 63 Riviera, but hadn't enough material to fill the video clip so decided to make it a video clip to honour all Rivieras.

• 4 weeks later...

Well I'm just going to enter here briefly. My rides are Packards 55-56. Although if I could not have Packards, Buicks would next on the list. 883-85 riv ragtops specifically. I have had my Packard in 2 movies, Mel Gibsons We were Soldiers and the made for TV special on Rosa Parks during the bus boycott. Never recieved an ounce of damage altough I did come unglued when I saw them cleaning my car with de-natured alcohol. It did not seem to hurt it though.

Now crawling back to my lair and watch.