Austin12600

Your Opinion - 1966 Ford F250

Buy it, or don't buy it?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Buy it, or don't buy it?

• Buy it
    • Don't buy it
    • Not sure

Thanks for all of your guys' input. I'm just waiting for my dad to find some time to take it out for a test drive, now. I'd do it myself, but the truck is in NC, and I'm in PA. I'll let you guys know how it goes, when he finds the time to go do it.

I guess, as a lifetime motorcyclist, I don't get all of the candy a$$ed replies regarding this truck. It would seem that the, general, consensus is, "If you try to drive this truck, you will surely die or at least be horribly maimed." My God, it only has a single master cylinder. Heavens!!! Drum brakes??? Suicide!!!! No power brakes??? No way you can push the pedal with the strength of your leg only!!! "You'll put your eye out, Kid".

Excuse me. I'm going to wrap a big chain around my bike so I can't ride it and hide under the bed, wearing my full body condom, with all of the other Chicken Littles

Yep, more name-calling. Just what this forum needed!

Yep, more name-calling. Just what this forum needed!

Oh Please!! What would you call it? Do you not think that much of the advise given this kid regarding the truck is a bit "Chicken Littleish"? I do not see it as name calling and I am not a name caller. I merely point out the obvious. I prefer to think of myself as being "refreshingly candid". Some peoples skin is so thin I can see their bones. It may, at some level, be well intended advise, but the whole idea of this truck being a deathtrap or a 3/4 ton Christine is pure crap, plain and simple.

The current issue of Hemmings Classic Cars has a short article on a FWD 3/4 ton 61 F-250. The owner, thankfully still alive, loves it and accepts is shorcomings

Edited by 58Mustang (see edit history)

You can't win John, you know the kid will replace the lug nuts and RUIN the chances of it ever getting on an AACA show field.

1937hd45,

If you are serious...

Have you not heard of DPC? That truck would make an excellent DPC vehicle for this young man, unless he wants to limit how much work he does and enters it in HPOF. It would be welcome on any AACA Showfield in either class.

If you are just trying to be "over the top" we have enough of that in this discussion already...

Let's all work to encourage this young man in the hobby, instead of bickering...

We have a discussion going on the BCA page about mentoring new people, as well as showing cars how they were made and not over-restored to a level that could never be equaled in a mass production facility of 30, 40 or 50 years ago. A lot of positive thoughts...

As for calling people names, John, if you check the name of this post, the guy was ASKING for people's opinions. Narrow-minded and quick to judge people only chase people away from this forum, rather than encourage a free exchange of ideas.

YOU have to decide for yourself if your comments are building people up or tearing them down. The rest of the world already sees them for what they are.....

We have a discussion going on the BCA page about mentoring new people, as well as showing cars how they were made and not over-restored to a level that could never be equaled in a mass production facility of 30, 40 or 50 years ago. A lot of positive thoughts...

As for calling people names, John, if you check the name of this post, the guy was ASKING for people's opinions. Narrow-minded and quick to judge people only chase people away from this forum, rather than encourage a free exchange of ideas.

YOU have to decide for yourself if your comments are building people up or tearing them down. The rest of the world already sees them for what they are.....

If you will have your mother read my posts to you again, you will find that I have been nothing but encouraging towards the poster as far as buying and fixing up this old truck. If I was nearby, I would offer my shop and tools to him if he needed help. Narrow minded!?!?! No mention, from you, of all the negative posts telling him how he's going to die in this truck because it has a single master cylinder and drum brakes, Yeah, I'm narrow minded. Oh, wait, that sounds like name calling to me. Hmmm, pot, kettle, black?

As the chosen voice of the rest of the world, I deign to your authority and will comment no further on this subject. 37HD was right, sometimes you just can't win.

Very few of you guys on here were narrow minded. A lot of you argued both the negatives and the positives.

Let's just take it easy... everyone is entitled to their own opinions, and all of your opinions of helped me greatly, no matter what they were...

I am glad you are pointing out the safety issues, however, I don't mind taking a risk like that. It's a part of life... The only real issue I'm worried about is putting fuel in it :(:P

I am going to buy the truck, as long as it runs as good as the owner says it does... Like I said before, the truck is in NC, and I'm in PA. However, my dad is in NC. He's going to take it for a test drive, for me, when he finds the time...

Let's just take it easy... everyone is entitled to their own opinions, and all of your opinions of helped me greatly, no matter what they were...

Austin, do not worry about the bickering or allow it to discourage you. It is what we seem to do and we enjoy being given a topic to discuss. Hope you did indeed receive some useful input, I say again it is a good deal and would be quite easy to work on, good luck, Todd C

Quote:

Originally Posted by Austin12600

Austin, If you think that some persons have a negitive opinion, just mention that you are going to put a 350 into it! LOL

Austin, I bought a new '69 F-100 custom cab 2x4; paid $3,000 for it. 360-inch V-8, long bed. I added west coast mirrors to it but had no power steering or power brakes. Drove it to work daily @ 60-65 mph on 2-lane blacktop. Got good service for 100,000 miles. Rust issues on the bed caused by industrial emissions where I worked finally compelled me to get rid of it. It was a 15 mpg truck except when I hauled a load of furniture home from Charlottesville, VA and made the mistake of tying a 7-foot high headboard upright behind the cab. MPG dropped below 10 that trip. Should have tied it along the side of the bed but oh well. I loved my truck and I bet you will like the '66.

It looks like a decent truck from the pics but if you buy it just because 61 to 66s look alike alot of the parts wont interchange,alot of parts from a 66 2WD will not fit it since its a 4X4 and it has more in common withn the 61 to 64s (pre twin I beam) then it does with the 65/66 2WDs. That 57 to 60 style bed is original on 4X4s and 61 to 63 non unibody trucks as the 64 to 66 2WDs have a better matching bed.

Guest BJM
I guess, as a lifetime motorcyclist, I don't get all of the candy a$$ed replies regarding this truck. It would seem that the, general, consensus is, "If you try to drive this truck, you will surely die or at least be horribly maimed."

Excuse me. I'm going to wrap a big chain around my bike so I can't ride it and hide under the bed, wearing my full body condom, with all of the other Chicken Littles

John,

One of the posters you are referencing providing counter point for Austin is me. My words to him were from real world experiences and certainly did not contain incindiary comments such as "a$$ed" and "you will surely die" and f--- b--- c----- etc"

I was trying to counterpoint that these vehicles were made in a different era for a different purpose and have drawbacks in modern traffic. This is from my own experience not something I read.

Austin sort of clarified that he has no intent of making this a daily driver, so I have later post pointing out how much Ilike ths tyling of the car and recommending the purchase for specific old vehicle ownership pleasures.

It's just that I distinctly remember that when I owned this truck and drove it daily to work, I would come out of the house relaxed, having had my coffee and cereal, climb in, start it up then "bing" a light bulb would come on and I would get into this intense focus to drive the truck the 10 miles to work.

It was a manual transmission truck, with no PS and no PB. I used to scan my perimeter a lot closer, check the flow of traffic ahead of me a lot closer and drive slower, which resulted in some middle finger salutes from zippy modern cars.

I felt this was useful information for Austin to consider before buying the truck. Like my dad checking out a car I wanted to buy when I was 16.

Sometimes I would get to work and be a little stressed out from driving it. That's all I am saying. I don't that's a candy a$$ed statement whatever that is.

You could have easily said -

"I don't agree with those guys saying don't buy this truck because it's hard to drive. That might be true but it is driveable and you can learn to drive it in modern traffic. I say go for it!"

In many cases, I needed extra length to stop the beast. At the time my wife had a Honda. After using it for a weekend, then getting in the truck, I would have to check myself and go OK, you aren't driving a Honda anymore, allow more space.

They should not used for daily drivers. Austin stated "I am not going to use it for daily driving". I said "Oh, well in that case certainly consider buying it".

Edited by BJM (see edit history)

Guest BJM
Austin, I bought a new '69 F-100 custom cab 2x4; paid $3,000 for it. 360-inch V-8, long bed. I added west coast mirrors to it but had no power steering or power brakes. I loved my truck and I bet you will like the '66.

John,

Automatic or manual?

I always thought in the equation of PS, PB, and auto/manual for my 66 F250 that had I had either PS or automatic then the truck would have been driveable in modern traffic but when a person is wrenching the truck to go one way with non-PS and trying to shift a clutch and brake at the same time, it's gets dicey.

????

driving a car or a truck with a manual transmission is "dicey"? Really?

that is a new one ...

a proper steering system does not need anyone to "return" it to center ...

Edited by Jim Rohn (see edit history)

I once owned a 24 Mack truck that had 0 Camber, 0 caster and 0 king pin inclination.

You had to turn the steering wheel just as hard to come out of a corner as you had to go into it.

Edited by Roger Walling (see edit history)

Guest BJM
????

driving a car or a truck with a manual transmission is "dicey"? Really?

that is a new one ...

a proper steering system does not need anyone to "return" it to center ...

Jim,

Dicey with manual drum brakes, manual steering, manual 4 speed, modern traffic yes. My 71 Chevy Custom Camper has PS, has PB and a manual - not so bad. You picked a certain point out of my post. I also own a 74 Datsin 260Z with 4 speed but it's much lighter and tuned as a sports car for maneuvers.

From the peanut gallery, having grown-up with my Grandad's '65 F-100 .

Check VERY CAREFULLY for rot: the '61-'8? Ford PUs were NOTORIOUS for cab rot:

Front cab supports

Rear Cab supports

Front inner-fenders

Rocker panels.

That rusty "snail-trail" down the firewall from under the Master Cylinder indicates that it is leaking; you will need to rebuild the entire brake system ( to be safe ): New Master and Wheel Cylinders, new steel tubing, new flex hoses. New brake shoes, hardware and drums as needed depending on what you find inside. While you're in there, replace the wheel bearing seals, front and rear...

If you want to upgrade to a dual-circuit Master Cylinder and split brake plumbing, okay; but if you correctly rebuild the stock system, it should be adequate; I have never had a properly rebuilt "single pot" system fail on me in 25+ years.

Then there's the suspension - make sure everything is within reasonable safety specs.

Some suspension, driveline and brake parts will be harder/ more $$$ to find for a 4WD truck.

As for driveability, one thing that our younger folks may not be aware of, is that most pre-1975 trucks were NOT designed to fly down the highway at 75+ MPH... they were utility vehicles intended to haul heavy pay-loads. This was especially true of Four-wheel drive vehicles. They have stump-puller rear-ends, for pulling, and usually don't like to cruise faster than 50-55 mph.

It will be very fuel hungry.

If it has no power steering or brakes, it will be a handfull to drive.

I don't know that "it's a steal" at $2,000, especially if you are planning to make money on it.

If the sheetmetal is perfect and there's no rust, then it might be reasonably priced.

I also am skeptical on "easily doubling your money"...

This looks like a well-preserved stock Ford 4WD; which is pretty uncommon - most of these noble beasts were flogged to death, and then flogged some more... when they would no longer pass safety inspections and run on the roads, they were relegated to plow dogs and back-woods crawlers for "up at the cabin"...

The '65-'66 Ford trucks are one of my favorite all-time truck designs; personally, I would like to see a truck like this be respectfully conserved and enjoyed...

Just my opinions; Austin, do your research and be thoughtful.

Good luck !

Edited by De Soto Frank (see edit history)

John,

One of the posters you are referencing providing counter point for Austin is me. My words to him were from real world experiences and certainly did not contain incindiary comments such as "a$$ed" and "you will surely die" and f--- b--- c----- etc"

I was trying to counterpoint that these vehicles were made in a different era for a different purpose and have drawbacks in modern traffic. This is from my own experience not something I read.

Austin sort of clarified that he has no intent of making this a daily driver, so I have later post pointing out how much Ilike ths tyling of the car and recommending the purchase for specific old vehicle ownership pleasures.

It's just that I distinctly remember that when I owned this truck and drove it daily to work, I would come out of the house relaxed, having had my coffee and cereal, climb in, start it up then "bing" a light bulb would come on and I would get into this intense focus to drive the truck the 10 miles to work.

It was a manual transmission truck, with no PS and no PB. I used to scan my perimeter a lot closer, check the flow of traffic ahead of me a lot closer and drive slower, which resulted in some middle finger salutes from zippy modern cars.

I felt this was useful information for Austin to consider before buying the truck. Like my dad checking out a car I wanted to buy when I was 16.

Sometimes I would get to work and be a little stressed out from driving it. That's all I am saying. I don't that's a candy a$$ed statement whatever that is.

You could have easily said -

"I don't agree with those guys saying don't buy this truck because it's hard to drive. That might be true but it is driveable and you can learn to drive it in modern traffic. I say go for it!"

In many cases, I needed extra length to stop the beast. At the time my wife had a Honda. After using it for a weekend, then getting in the truck, I would have to check myself and go OK, you aren't driving a Honda anymore, allow more space.

They should not used for daily drivers. Austin stated "I am not going to use it for daily driving". I said "Oh, well in that case certainly consider buying it".

Quote:

<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td class="alt2" style="border: 1px inset;"> Originally Posted by Reatta Man viewpost.gif

</td> </tr> </tbody></table>

If you will have your mother read my posts to you again, you will find that I have been nothing but encouraging towards the poster as far as buying and fixing up this old truck. If I was nearby, I would offer my shop and tools to him if he needed help. Narrow minded!?!?! No mention, from you, of all the negative posts telling him how he's going to die in this truck because it has a single master cylinder and drum brakes, Yeah, I'm narrow minded. Oh, wait, that sounds like name calling to me. Hmmm, pot, kettle, black?

As the chosen voice of the rest of the world, I deign to your authority and will comment no further on this subject. :cool:37HD was right, sometimes you just can't win. __________________

Novaman, is relatively close to there. Perhaps David will chime in with an offer to take a look at it with you the next time you are down. I am a few hours away, but if nobody else can help, let me know and I can look at it with you. I have some experience with 61-66 Ford Trucks as I previously owned a 1964 and went through a few parts trucks as well.

You're right Matt, but if I remember right, Randy Stone lives in Greensboro and he's into Fords.

If that truck is what you want, I'd grab it, but see what the owner's bottom dollar us. Send your money to your uncle and see if he'll keep the truck at his house until you can get down to get the truck home.

If you're in to build it and make a profit, you're better off to buy something else. Remember that getting the truck home would cut into your investment.

this is to the young man asking opinions of what to do, i'm a new member and am wondering what you did, if you did buy of didn't am very interested in this vehicle, my parents had this exact truck when they were married. It was sold about 10 yrs ago and basically ran into the ground and scraped. If you didn't buy it would really appreciate contact info on how to reach owner and if you did am interested if you'd be willing to sell. As I said I'm very interested in this truck my dad bought new and traded in a 63 split window vet for this, would like to have one for him to drive again before its to late, mother past so only limited time to find one. Thank you for any help you can provide. email, lenards3@hotmail.com, 906 280-1455

Edited by mark3
forgot contact info (see edit history)

Even though this is an old thread, I will answer it as if you haven't done anything AND hopefully some advice for other newcomers to the hobby.

As a guy who grew up in the old car hobby and have a 16 year old daughter that is about as crazy about old cars as I am, let me give you a little advice.

If all you want is an old vehicle to restore, I would pass on this one and buy something a little more practical that you could enjoy on a daily basis without it costing you an arm and a leg, easier to drive, etc. If, on the otehr hand, you have a real desire to own an old 3/4 ton pickup, then this one looks to be a good deal.

As others have said, buying a car to turn a profit is not always a good thing. It can be done but is best left to those folks that have been in the hobby a long time and have conenctions, knowledge of values, etc. rather than a 16 year old. Not trying to talk you out of the hobby - in fact just the opposite but you need to go into it with the expectation that (1) it is going to take time and money to make this truck into a nice dependable truck and (2) when you are done, you won't recover all that money.

Just remember if the truck could turn a quick profit, someone would have already done most likely.

If you have already purcahsed it, give us an update on how things are going

BOB

Edited by Bob Hill (see edit history)

For gods sake you ,you guys are talking about brake's and the steering This is and old car site,2 wheel brakes are norm thats 50%better.I know its a old post,i love that truck