Gas tank straps for a '56 Special?

Guest chris_horrorshow

Guest chris_horrorshow

Hey guys, been reading the forum for a bit. Tons of good information here, thanks for sharing it.

So i am in search of a part: The straps that hold the gas tank in place on my 56 4 door Special. I pulled the tank to get it coated, and when i went to reattach it, i had to kludge together something to hold the tank in place. I've contacted Wheatbelt Buick, but they are fresh out right now. Anyone have any other suggestions as to where to track these down? Thanks in advance.

Welcome aboard.

There are a lot of things you could try. I wouldn't hold out hope, but try rockauto.com. Bob's Automobilia may have something. Classic Buicks (dot com) would be another place I'd check. There's also the Buick Farm online with NOS parts.

Hardtop or sedan? I have a Canadian Model 41 that is restorable, but it likely going to wind up as parts.

Usually what goes are the straps themselves. The end fittings being "restorable". If so any sheet metal shop can shear off a couple of 1/16" X 1" wide steel strips for you to rivet to the end fittings. That's what i do as a matter of course..................Bob

Guest chris_horrorshow

Hardtop or sedan? I have a Canadian Model 41 that is restorable, but it likely going to wind up as parts.

It's a hardtop.

The actual issue that i have is the hook & nut at the end of the straps that hook into the frame have rusted together. So i can't get enough slack on the straps to get the hook back onto the proper spot on the frame. A little Home Depot hardware is keeping everything connected by now, but i've got nightmares of hitting a speed bump and dropping my tank to the ground. I could try the ol taking a blowtorch to the nut, but i haven't done that a lot, and near the gas tank worries me a bit.

I'll try those places out, and if they can't come up with anything, i'll try and hit up a local sheet metal shop.

Mike suggestion is very good. I have had great results with the PB Blaster soak of rusted items. Just use patience, as it is very necessary with restoration. Otherwise it gets really expensive!! Good luck.

What I would do is run/siphon the tank near empty. Block the tank up. Remove one (or both) of the straps, cut them if need be. Use a vise and heat the nut to red and remove. Fabricating/attaching new bolts or other parts is simple. If you have basicly no tools or knowledge, then finding a good replacement is best. but it really is quite easy to fabricate what you need and attach to new straps. I've done it on all my cars and it's fun and easy.............Bob