83 Riv special relays

Guest northmn

Does anyone have to sell me 1 or 2 of the turn signal /cornering relays in the trunk of these Rivs that where put in till 84 I believe. They are 5 terminal and 4 GM dealers say all the same thing that they don't have the part number for them because they where made by a private manufacturer and the relays where in a seperate book the parts people had. I know this might sound a bit strange.I phoned auto wreckers entire north america to see if they have them in any other E boby cars too . They think Iam crazy wanting relays in a trunk and some hung up on me.HELP please someone. Hasn't anyone else had one of these relays gone bad.

Does anyone have to sell me 1 or 2 of the turn signal /cornering relays in the trunk of these Rivs that where put in till 84 I believe. They are 5 terminal and 4 GM dealers say all the same thing that they don't have the part number for them because they where made by a private manufacturer and the relays where in a seperate book the parts people had. I know this might sound a bit strange.I phoned auto wreckers entire north america to see if they have them in any other E boby cars too . They think Iam crazy wanting relays in a trunk and some hung up on me.HELP please someone. Hasn't anyone else had one of these relays gone bad.

I have dealt with this issue several times and have found that there were several different kinds. One set that I have will blink the middle of the light and alternate with the sides. I think that the center of the light should stay lit and not flash. Everytime that I see a Riviera in a salvage yard I always see if they are still in the trunk and most of them are. I have several pairs of them for spares for my 84. Post your needs on the Reatta Division and look for Daves89, he has found several for me in the past.

You need to try to get a matching pair so that both sides do the same thing Both or the relays are just under the side trunk material on the right side. Not hard to get to at all

Good Luck

Chuck Kerls

booreatta@cox.net

Edited by Booreatta
more info (see edit history)

By a stroke of very good luck I started to phone every Gm Buick dealer starting in NY state and ran across a very smart gentleman in the parts whom wanted the numbers 0100034 that appeared on one relay. For whatever reason he put a 2 in front and presto a relay came up. The number for these relays is #20100034. They are very special heavy duty relay and have a diod inside. I located one NOS using dealer search. Hope this helps you all If ever need one. This is by far the hardest part I have ever had to locate new or used for this Riv.

The 2 relays are in the trunk left rear fender & same part number. each relay operates with every flash of the signal lights like a flasher on the chosen side and the cornering light is on too. All I can tell you is that when this relay (flasher whatever?) failed all the running lights stayed on & drained the battery in less than an hour. A boost from a stranger would not put enough power in to the battery because the lights where sucking all the power away. I had to go & buy a new battery to start the engine. This all happened out of town (stranded). Was a scarry experience. I turn around & check the lights when walking away now.post-58922-143138309301_thumb.jpg

post-58922-143138309311_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
The 2 relays are in the trunk left rear fender & same part number. each relay operates with every flash of the signal lights like a flasher on the chosen side and the cornering light is on too. All I can tell you is that when this relay (flasher whatever?) failed all the running lights stayed on & drained the battery in less than an hour. A boost from a stranger would not put enough power in to the battery because the lights where sucking all the power away. I had to go & buy a new battery to start the engine. This all happened out of town (stranded). Was a scarry experience. I turn around & check the lights when walking away now.[ATTACH]65138[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]65139[/ATTACH]

I was reading your interesting post on the two relays in the trunk.would't you know it I experianced the same failure and problem trying to find replacements ! What I ended up doing was repair the copper spring as it broke off at the top, a simple soldering task, we will see how long it lasts ?

From 1984 to now is 26 years and 46k miles, it might last for years!

• 2 years later...

Here is how I have always tried doing my pricing. I go to a U-Pick [Gibson's] and they treat me pretty good. So having said that it's my cost times 2 plus $15.00 an hour [one hour minimum]. I know these aren't worth that much so let's see how many I get and will let your forum know if I can sharpen the price. Who knows maybe I can buy them for a buck a peice and can pull them in an hour. If there are three Rivs out there that would be a total of $27.00 for 6 costing less then $5.00 each.

Now that I know they are a Riv only item [or would Pontiac have them as well?] I will look for them every time I go out there. Not to gouge but to try to get as many as I can for you. I have worked with Ed so maybe he can be "the guy" that carries your inventory.

Dave,

I'll vouch for you but you're learning the reason that I got away from driving/restoring this particular generation of Riviera. I had a number of them and almost everyone of them had a peculiarity that went unsolved for a while or on the two XX's just went unsolved when I sold them. I told the buyers what was what and they seemed to think that they could deal with the problem. My convertible was the the only car that didn't have some unresolved matters when I bought it or sold it, except for the fact that I didn't take delivery of the boot until after I sold it. Never saw it with the boot on it. My Type_R didn't have these problems either but it was an '85.

For those of you out there who've never dealt with Dave before, I can only say that he's one of the easiest guys to deal with as far as price, shipping & handling, and funding.

Here's the basic scenario for all of us on the forum that use others on the forum for parts and/or services. You stick it to someone with a bad part or fail to "pay up" as you promised, the damage that happens to your reputation as a seller or a buyer cannot be repaired for any amount of money. Think about it.

After having reread my last post, I thought that there could be some folks that don't read it the way that I intented it when I wrote it.

I just want to clarify that my "warning" DOES NOT apply to nor is it aimed at anyone specifically.

My intent was for everyone to have faith in the folks for whom this forum is a part of their daily/weekly lives. If someone has quite a few posts, then it's probably a true statement that they care about what they have to say and what folks think about them and their reputation. If someone posts something for sale and it's their 1st of 2nd post, it could be that they're on the forum just to find a buyer. In that case, it might be prudent to really scrutinize the transaction.. If the seller has been around for quite a while, you can probably have faith in them; they have a reputation to uphold as well.

Thanks Jayson. Guys, Jayson will soon have them all. Contact him if you need any. I will keep looking for more if any new cars come in, although I will say that the 1985's do not have them. All 3 of the cars I got them from I had to "break" into the trunk as there were no keys...

• 10 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...