96 wood dash resto

Guest SC Riviera

Guest SC Riviera

I have a 1996 S/C with a wood dash. Problem is that the oil from the wood seems to have caused some separation from the clear coat. So I have gold blotches all over the place. I also have some damage to the console box release handle. I searched the forum looking for posts on the subject and was unsuccessful in finding any.

I would like to know if anyone has had any experience stripping and refinishing the original or installing a replacement kit. I've read up on a couple of the kits and one warned that it was not a replacement for those originally equipped with a wood dash. So, I'm a little concerned.

None of them came with a wood dash, it sounds like you have an aftermarket kit installed. There was fake wood on the trim bezal around the radio/HVAC controls and on the center console around the gear shift. Almost every kit I have seen are adhesive backed and will take some careful pulling off so you could install a replacement kit.

Guest SC Riviera

Well now, that changes everything. I was under the assumption that it was an option. So rather than peeling it off I think I'll hit the junkyard and an pick up another dash and console. So I guess my next question is does anyone recommend a kit manufacturer? I love the way it looks with wood.

And thanks for clearing that up for me. :o

One thing to be careful of with after market wood dash kits.

Many fo the lesser quality ones do not have the nomenclature on the arm rest switch pieces.

I was able to find a manufacturer who did label the switch areas perfectly, screen printed lettering.

Email for the seller I used ...mrchrome@west.net

Website....

Protrim, Inc.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

www.wooddash.com<o:p></o:p>

It was March 2007 when I dealt with them for a 96 Riv, and approx a year ago for a 99.

They sent samples to me and shipping was fast.

Don't know if they still exist or if they still have Riv items.

good luck!

Dale

Guest SC Riviera

I will say that whomever made the kit that is installed did a fine job. Everything fits perfectly with no gaps leaving me to believe it was factory. I think I'm going to try my hand at veneering the parts myself.