2 more engine questions

64R

Sorry guys, I really don't know much about nailheads, especially the outer workings so please forgive my ignorance and related stupid questions.

I keep forgetting to say it's a 64 425

What is this, it's something to create vacuum I assume but it isn't connected to anything currently? How releavant is it? The car runs fine (other than needing rings)

DSC03905.jpg

Another total mystery, what is this orange ended thing bolted to the two middle bolts on the intake?

DSC03915.jpg

I know I only said 2 questions but I have a bonus question :D What might this thing bolted to the inner fender be?

DSC03899.jpg

The first picture is of a broken dash pot. It should have a rod sticking out of it. It slows down the primary thottle shafts from closing so quickly that it would kill the engine.

The second picture is of the electronic kick down switch. All TH400 (Buick called in an ST400) have electrically operated kick downs (passing gears.)

If the carburetor on your car is correct, there's a roller on the linkage that would engage the metal switch under the orange rubber and depress it to make 12V contact. The yellow wire comes from the harness and goes to the wiper fuse. The other wire is a ground.

The third picture is vacuum storage canister.

The attached pictures show the roller - circled in red, and the plunger with the spring around it on the dash pot. The plunger on yours is broken off.

Ed

PS, I looked at your pictures again and you have the correct carburetor for activating the kick down

Edited by RivNut
Added PS (see edit history)

By the way, I`ve only seen silly answers, never silly questions. Knowledge is a shared commodity.:)

I know what you mean but I do feel like a little kid asking all these questions, what's that? what's that? My grandson is 6 and asks less questions :D

Rob, don't feel bad. You're not the only one with lots of questions. My question is on one of the pics that Ed posted. There is something resembling a condenser riding piggy back on the coil. What is that? I have one on my '63 but it isn't connected (engine seems to run fine without it). My condenser is under the distributor cap. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks - JD