Tires at Hershey?

msmazcol

I don't know about any show specials but I believe Coker is one. I suppose their website might tell you about any show specials that they run. There are probably others, but that is what comes to my mind first.

Yes the 442 is fine. It's on jack stands right now with a new set of Diamond Back redlines waiting to be mounted. It is the one modern update I can live with. The old bias ply redlines just don't work for me.

My Divco chassis is back in motion. Now I'll need tires for that too.

Great seeing you, Steve, and that sweet Olds of yours as well.

Mark

As far as getting them to his van, if he doesn't have a way to haul them there are usually young boys with carts/wagons that can be hired to transport large items like tires. And I usually see some of them hanging around the tire dealers hoping to make some spending money. :rolleyes:

I think I uderstand you can order in advance for delivery at Hershey and they will hold for you if you prepay. But you will probably only save the shipping. Call them and ask.

John

I did this with Coker 5 years ago. The savings in shipping alone is well worth the effort. They were short one tire on my order, and had to ship the 5th tire. I don't remember the exact figure they paid to do that, but I was severely impressed!

As far as getting them to his van, if he doesn't have a way to haul them there are usually young boys with carts/wagons that can be hired to transport large items like tires. And I usually see some of them hanging around the tire dealers hoping to make some spending money. :rolleyes:

The tires are round. You just roll 'em.:)

Universal Vintage Tire does not require you to pre-pay on orders to be picked up at Hershey. There are usually one or two kids hanging around our booth with wagons eager to transport your tire purchases. We also offer the use of one of our wagons to any customers who purchases tires. The wagon can be used to transport your tires back to a vehicle or space. UVT's display spaces are located in the Chocolate Field, C2E 51-72.

If you prefer not to lug the tires around the show, Universal's facility is located 5 miles south of the show field on Rt 743. You are more then welcome to visit our offices and warehouse. Our office hours during the show week are Mon-Fri from 8 am to 5 pm, closed on Saturday.

Edited by UVT_Mike (see edit history)

msmazcol, I hope you don't mind my adding to your thread, but I am looking for a very peculiar tire. I am in need of military lugged tread 450, 480, or 500 X 12 tires for my Farm O Road. I have checked all the tire dealers and found none exist, so my only hope is in the flea market. If anyone is roaming and find any number of them, I'd appreciate a call at 484-269-4428 with space number and contact information (ie a cell phone number) so I can ask them to hold them and go pick them up. I have been looking over a year and no luck so far. Thanks in advance for looking!!!

The tires are round. You just roll 'em.:)

That's how I came to have a "Hershey Wagon". Bill bought one tire for our 1939 Dodge for one dollar thinking he could just roll it. Then his back started to hurt from bending over. So he picked the tire up to carry it. After lugging that tire many aisles, and using up several styrofoam cups to pad his hand, he was worn out. So I spent $30 on a nicely re-painted Radio Flyer wagon a vendor had for sale. That wagon has been to every Hershey since, many years, and has picked up some cool decorations along the way.

I give the kids credit for trying to earn an honest buck. :)

Edited by Shop Rat
Correct a type-o. (see edit history)

Guest windjamer

:DI buy tires for my self and customers from UVT. I call a head and they are always ready. If I call for a tire and UVT doesent have it when I get there they will and have shiped it to my shop at THERE expence.This speeks well for UVT.

OK this whole buying tires at Hershey thing is not what I expected. Here is what I discovered today. If my nice tire dealer sells me tires at the show he is forced to charge sales tax. Even though I really enjoy paying my taxes, property, income, vehicle purchase, and sales til the day I die I have found it slightly more rewarding to avoid them on occasion.

Here is how I see the math.

Lets take $1,000.00 worth of tires. If I guess at the sales tax of 6 % that gives me a total of $ 1,060.00 plus the $20 > $ 40 bucks I'm going to want to slip the great Boy Scout wagon master if he does a decent job at all, plus the dinner I'll have to buy my buddy for his finger print service on these I come up with a total near $1,200.00 or so.

If I pick up the phone and order them using my handy dandy Disney charge card I don't pay sales tax, get Disney points for my next trip if I live that long and can save buying the buddy dinner and a favor.

Yes, I will have to pay freight, about $100.00. UPS or the truck freight company will really appreciate me though. Maybe not as much as the good Boy Scout but maybe I can buy some cookies from him next time.

Wait that's the Girl Scouts, sorry.

I'm getting two asprin now.