1938 buick what model do I have

Guest buick 1938

Guest buick 1938

Hello.

I got this buick for a few years now and want to start to have him on the road.

before i can start oder parts i have to now what model i have.

here is a picture from the front and back, also from the firewall.

m7g7mc.jpg

9hv3om.jpg

9a9us0.jpg

i'm from the netherlands and it is hard to find parts overhere so some links to

site's where I can order parts are welcome.

i have family in the states and can use that post adres, and we go every year to the states.

marco

Marco,

First welcome to the forum. I am sure you will enjoy sharing information. I encourage you to join the BCA and better share your experiences with the car. Because you travel to the US every year, I would encourage that you try to plan to attend the National Meet of the BCA in Danvers, MA the week after July 4. More information on that will be posted on the BCA web site in the near future.

I must say, the firewall tag seems to indicate a 1939 car, but the car is definately a 1938. If you can find the engine number on the engine and a frame number, I think located on these on a tag on the frame under the right side (from inside the car) near the wheel. Dave Corbin, who frequents this forum has many of the old records so he can pinpoint the month of assembly, usually.

There are some seperate sub-groups of the BCA and forum groups, one of which is a Yahoo Group for 1937-1939 Buicks, which you should also join. They can provide much help to you, as you search for parts, etc.

John

Edited by jscheib
incomplete and spelling (see edit history)

OK here is my opinions and facts

Fact

Style number 4619 = Century 4 door trunk back model 61

Opinion

I agree with John that the tag looks like it is from 39 based on the picture unless the paint perfectly covered the same location on each "38" to make them look like 39's. The car certainly appears to be a 38 based on the front end body as what little I can see of the dash with the round hole for the clock at the glove box. So therefore I do NOT trust the tag.

Fact.

It is a small series body due to the rear most side glass shape. The Roadmaster would have a slanted pillar against the rear door and the limited would have the extra vent window. Since neither are present that eliminates those two possibilities.

Fact

It IS a 4 dr trunk back sedan, so we can again narrow down the possibilities to a model 41 (Special) or 61 (Century)

Opinion

From the photos presented I cannot tell the difference to determine if it is a 41 or 61. Perhaps others see something definitive.

Suggestion

IMO the simplest method to determine which series it is is to measure the wheelbase. Special series 41 wheel base is 122 inches. Century it is 126 inches. There are other methods, engines of course are different, as are lengths of components of the body, but for someone less familiar with the cars the best method is wheelbase.

Let us know!

• Like 1

Guest buick 1938
Hello Marco,

nice to see another late 30's Buick in Europe. Where in NL do you live? I live near Venlo in Germany. Might be a nice idea to meet each other.

regards

Uli

I live 25 kilometers from eindhoven so that is close to venlo.

a few more observations: [i own a 38 Special trunk back sedan]

The grill looks like a home made replacement, as the horizontal bars look 'flat' and not contoured like the cast grill bars

the side louvres look like a home made replacement with about 10 indentations ( mine has 7 with factory original hood side ornamentation )

In addition the hood side ornamentation is rectangular behind the headlight pods. This is 1937 style, but as I count the 'waves' there are too many to be original trim.

The headlights look converted to sealed beam ( but that doesn't tell us much).

So from what I see , the tag is definately 39, the shape of the grill shroud if 38 ( not 37) based on the slope , and the defining trim, grill and hood sides are replacements so can't tell from that.

Interior shots of the dash would help. Looks like some kind of hybrid, maybe repaired with whatever could be found or made at some time in the life of the car.

Guest Jacques Matz

Hello Marco,

Just to let you know that I can help you if you want some parts for your buick. I have got another 38 that I will part out and can deliver whatever you want in Antwerpen - Belgium together with other collectibles. Met vriendelijke groetjes, Jack

I live 25 kilometers from eindhoven so that is close to venlo.

If you like we can check some details this weekend. At least I can tell how some things look on my 1939 Model 41 to compare with what you have. Maybe it is a mixture of different years which should not be too complicated to find out. Once you know what part of the car comes from what year you can order the right parts to complete your unique version then.

regads

Uli

Guest buick 1938
If you like we can check some details this weekend. At least I can tell how some things look on my 1939 Model 41 to compare with what you have. Maybe it is a mixture of different years which should not be too complicated to find out. Once you know what part of the car comes from what year you can order the right parts to complete your unique version then.

regads

Uli

my buick is now in a garage at my wife's grandpa, i hope that i have him next month at home. it's better to see the buick at that time.

Guest buick 1938
a few more observations: [i own a 38 Special trunk back sedan]

So from what I see , the tag is definately 39, the shape of the grill shroud if 38 ( not 37) based on the slope , and the defining trim, grill and hood sides are replacements so can't tell from that.

Interior shots of the dash would help. Looks like some kind of hybrid, maybe repaired with whatever could be found or made at some time in the life of the car.

the buick is a import car from Cuba so it can be everything i think.

here are some shots from the dash.

smx0u1.jpg

14niz4x.jpg

I see little slots on the right side of the glove box door. My special doesn't have that, but I think the century has a vertical chrome bar there, so.... could be a century dash panel.

The round clock opening is 38

The steering wheel is from who knows what...

I think 39's were column shift, so this is pre 39 ( 39 owners can verify this)

I heard that the Cuban government had banned the export of antique vehicles in fear that the U.S.A. would get them. Any truth to that?

Is the original motor in the car? It's common in Cuba to replace the motor with a small four cylinder. I'm sure it has a lot more interesting mods from lack of parts. Was it a taxi?

Guest buick 1938

i got the buick from a car dealer in the netherlands and now nothing of the history of the buick.

there is a line 8 in the buick i dont now if this is the original.

There are people on the forum who can determine if your Straight (line) 8 is original to the car (assuming we make final determination what year your car is)

If you can get the serial number off the chassis (located where the firewall bolts to the chassis) on the passenger side of the car and the serial number off the engine (should be on a machined flat pad on the passenger side of the engine.

Post those numbers here to the attention of DAVE CORBIN, he will gladly help

I agree, 1938 Buick Model 61 Century Touring Sedan, 126" W.B., body style code 4619

By all the evidence we see. I just don't get the serial plate that still looks like it says 39, but the car is definately a 38 to me.

Hi,

My guess is that the original car had no title and therefore could not be registered. In that case it may be that the current existing number plate was switched out from a junker that DID have a title, and the licensing people didn't know the difference.

This practice is common among the street rod community here in the States. I'm not sure it's legal, so I won't admit to doing it myself... :D

--Tom

It's either a 38 Model 41 or Model 61. The longer wheelbase Century (61) was 4 inches longer wheelbase, the added length being just in front of the front edge of the front doors. Based on the photo, it looks like you have the shorter wheelbase since the front door comes all the way up to the rear edge of the front fender. There were quite a few more Model 41's built than Model 61's in 1938.

Guest buick 1938
It's either a 38 Model 41 or Model 61. The longer wheelbase Century (61) was 4 inches longer wheelbase, the added length being just in front of the front edge of the front doors. Based on the photo, it looks like you have the shorter wheelbase since the front door comes all the way up to the rear edge of the front fender. There were quite a few more Model 41's built than Model 61's in 1938.

i found a photo from the side. the buick is not at my house maby next week i'm gonna look for the numbers and make some more pics.

auto_weg_brengen.jpg?t=1285111723

The steering wheel looks a lot like it came from a late '40s Buick, minus the horn ring and trim.

I was in Cuba in the late '90s and I can tell you that the ingenuity and inventiveness used to keep the old US tin moving is nothing short of astounding. If that grille and trim is homemade, it wouldn't surprise me in the least. What a story that car must have!

The picture of the car on the trailer clearly shows that it is a Century. The picture below is a 1938 Buick Special Model 40C from about the same camera angle. Note the difference in the realtionship between the rear of the front fender and the leading edge of the front door on the two cars.

Grandpa

post-52807-143138309322_thumb.jpg

Guest buick 1938
I don't think that grey minivan is actually pulling the Buick.

yes the van was pulling the buick.

it looks on the picture like a smal mini van this is a better picture.

100.jpg

Guest buick 1938

here is a photo from the engine number.

the wheelbase is 126 inch the length of the engine (head) is 34 inch.

i post also a photo of the grill.

og9ylx.jpg