1948 Plymouth Deluxe help needed! (picts)

Guest Buick1908

Guest Buick1908

My great uncle has a 1948 Plymouth that he is wanting to sell. The people who sold it to him said that the timing belt was broken. It turns out that the valves were stuck in the engine. Now the engine is stuck and all torn apart and he wants to sell it. The body is all straight and original and there is no damage that I could see. There is no rust on the body but the floor pans would need to be replaced. The glass is all good that I can tell. Also it would need new tires. The one downside to the car is the engine as it would take a lot to rebuild. What do you guys think? And what do you think a fair price would be? Here are some photos, the car is sitting in a shed and all dirty.

Also does anyone have any info on these kind of cars?

Thanks for everything from Nebraska, Andrew.

post-64243-143138302359_thumb.jpg

post-64243-143138302361_thumb.jpg

Old Cars Price Guide says 1948 Plymouth coupe #5 restorable $1920.

If you want to sell it you could pump up the tires pull it out and wash it but don't do anything else. Especially don't throw anything away, that funny looking bit of bent metal or plastic that couldn't possibly be a car part, turns out to be some obscure part that the car won't run without and it takes 2 years to find another one.

Look around the garage and carefully gather up all parts, keys, owner's manual, etc. that should go with the car. The more complete it is the more desirable to a buyer.

But don't expect too much, remember the buyer will have to do a lot of work and spend a lot of money before they have a nice car.

It looks like a good car to restore. I would like to buy it myself if it wasn't so far away.

Hello Andrew

That will be a very nice car following restoration, but like Rusty said, that is a lot of time and money away from where it is now.

I suggest you post your pictures and questions on the the P15/D24 forum — that crowd specializes in exactly this sort of car and you'll find the members very interested and most helpful.

www430.pair.com/p15d24/mopar_forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2

Hello Andrew

That will be a very nice car following restoration, but like Rusty said, that is a lot of time and money away from where it is now.

I suggest you post your pictures and questions on the the P15/D24 forum — that crowd specializes in exactly this sort of car and you'll find the members very interested and most helpful.

www430.pair.com/p15d24/mopar_forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2

You beat me to the punch! The P15-D24 forum (and website) is arguably the best place online that caters to flathead-powered Mopars.

Harold

The engine doesn't have a timing belt.

Flathead MoPar engines are readily available and "dime a dozen" compared to most other old car engines. Pull the car out, clean it up, put out some feelers for a replacement engine and weld in some new floors while you're waiting.

I'd make an offer of 1500 bucks

engine may still be repairable - stuck valves not uncommon on long barn storage. With the head off you can see if they are operating. (I had this experience with a stored P12). A common and simple car for it's age. Easy to fix but not a high bucks car when done.

since it doesn't have a "timing belt" I'm pretty sure that's not it!

I have a running 1940 plymouth motor and a completely rebuilt 1950 Mopar. I was going to put one in another car that I sold now would like to either sell or best offer one or both motors. I'm interested in the coupe but Florida is a long haul to ship it.

It would take a lot of time and money. I have time but low on money. I have restored several Ford and Lincolns. Leroy Ft. Myers, Fl.

That's one of the better-looking Plymouth models built and it shouldn't be too difficult to find an engine somewhere. Lots of engines from other years should work and be glad it doesn't have fluid drive. Fluid drive wasn't known for acceleration. Don't let the car get away. It needs to be saved. Let us know what you do.

Guest Buick1908

I posted a thread last night that I purchased the car from my uncle. I love the feeling of buying an old car!! It will be a fun car and a great addition to the collection. Thanks for everything from Nebraska, Andrew.