Scotts_DG8

Dodge A100 Parts Interchange Question

I am looking for any information that someone might have on the Dodge A100 as to what other vehicles the tie rods, kingpins/bushings and the vent window gasket may have been used on. I am restoring my 1969 A100 and am in need of these parts. I've not seen an interchange book for the mid to late 60's and am hoping that someone out here might be able to help. I’ve also posted this query in the AACA Dodge Trucks Forum.

As far as the tie rods go, I've only seen a couple different MOOG part numbers referenced and am trying to identify what are the correct numbers and what other cars/trucks they may have been used on based on the original Chrysler/Dodge/Mopar part number.

Same with the kingpins/bushings. I've seen both that the D100 fits the A100 and the the D100 does not fit the A100. What's the correct answer?

The same with the vent window gasket, I would like to find out what other cars/trucks may have used the same window/gasket setup. I've also no idea what the Chrysler/Dodge/Mopar part number is for the gasket.

Thank you all for any help that you can provide. Scott...

About 10 years ago I replaced the king pins in a 1970 Fargo pickup. The parts store told me there were only 2 king pin sets listed for beam axle Dodges, 1942-1971 and 1941-back.

Any good parts store should be able to get the king pin and bushing sets, and the tie rod ends. Just tell them what vehicle you need them for. My guess is they used the same parts on vans and pickups but I could be wrong.

A couple more tips. If you want to adjust the play out of the steering box be sure to follow the factory repair manual exactly. I didn't, I just adjusted out the play and in a month or 2 the steering box wore out.

Also get an alignment done and replace the shocks even if the old ones are not leaking. This will transform the ride and handling. If you want the steering super easy and sharp, add a steering damper and have the front end set up with little or no caster.

Your suspension can be quite easy to drive, and smooth riding up to a point. Under severe conditions of rough roads and bad potholes it will not ride a smooth as IFS just because it does not have as much travel. Other than that, it can be just as nice to drive as a modern truck.

If you rebuild the stock front end and get it aligned, and put on new shocks you should be very impressed.

Another thing that helps the smooth ride, is to take the springs apart, polish off the rust and dirt with a disc grinder, paint with POR15 and reassemble with new plastic sliders.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

Rusty,

Thanks for the extensive reply. I'm looking forward to the first drive in the van and have no preconceived notion/opinion on what the ride should or should not be like. It’s been lots of years since I’ve drove one of these A100’s and is it lives up to my memory I will be very happy with it.

I had already planned to remove and split the springs apart to "rebuild/refurbish" each of them, they have a lot of life in them yet and there are no broken leafs although they all will need new bushings.

The reason for the search on the tie rod ends is that I’ve already checked on them and there is only the one side available according to the parts store. And on the kingpins, I’ve seen a moog part referenced for the A100 and on another website it was stated it wouldn’t work so I am just sorting through the minutia.

I’ve picked up the service manual numerous times just for some light reading and have already read through the steering box service section and fully plan to follow it. Again, thanks for the suggestions/recommendations which I will keep in mind as I make my way through this project. Scott…

Did you try your local NAPA store? Suspension and brake parts are usually available for anything. I have got much more obscure parts than that from my local store. But they have to know how to find a good part number. See if you can find an old gray haired or bald headed parts guy a kid with purple hair and a snot ring is not going to be much help. Also, try and go in the middle of the week when they are not too busy and have time to track down hard to find parts.

If all else fails there are the antique parts sellers like Birnbaum but they charge a premium price.

Did you try your local NAPA store? Suspension and brake parts are usually available for anything. I have got much more obscure parts than that from my local store. But they have to know how to find a good part number. See if you can find an old gray haired or bald headed parts guy a kid with purple hair and a snot ring is not going to be much help. Also, try and go in the middle of the week when they are not too busy and have time to track down hard to find parts.

If all else fails there are the antique parts sellers like Birnbaum but they charge a premium price.

Another possibility for steering and suspension parts is Rare Parts out of Stockton, Calif.

Steering & Suspension, All American Cars, Import Cars, Off Road and Trucks | RareParts.com

They may not be the cheapest but if they don't have it they will make it. And if they have to make it for you from a sample they will add that part to their inventory so the next person who needs one can get it. For example, they actually make the steering drag link for 1933 Dodge and Plymouth.

Again, Rusty thanks for your reply.

As far as NAPA is concerned regarding the tie rods, I've been to the local one and they only list the one side but not the other, and to be honest there was a set on eBay but the price was more than I was going to spend and neither part numbers matched the one referenced by NAPA as both were different. I wrote to the manufacture of the MOOG parts asking for direction as to what is what and if they could provide direction, that was a week ago and there had been no response yet. I got the manufacturer's e-mail from a authorized supplier that could not come up with the parts.

Also, I always filter out the most knowledgeable person within any setting I enter, I always learn the most that way, after all it is my time being spent too. Thinking back I don't think any knowledgeable person I've met so far has had purple hair, maybe one or two had a ring in their ear though.

I'll have a look at Birnbaum and see what they have. Scott...

Ply33,

I appreicate too you input and will also check out Rare Parts. If anything they may come in handy for the '31 that is shown in my signature.

It always nice when you can come across what you need when you need it but sometimes the search can surface other knowledge and connections which can turn out to be needed just as much. Thanks, Scott...

Hi Scott.  I was wondering what you found out about the availability of the vent window gasket in your Dodge A100.  I just noticed a big hole on the driver side.  Coincidentally I replaced the drag link and both tie rod ends last month (and the left tie rod end had to be made by rare parts).  I know your post is eight years old, but ?????  Thank you, Scott and Happy New Year to all!!

Interesting that the RH outer tie rod end is readily available, but the LH one is not.  As I suspected, Rare Parts has the unobtanium LH tie rod end (P/N 25443).  They have made a nice little business reproducing out of production suspension and steering parts like this.  I got the center link for my 67 Delta 88 from Rare Parts and I am quite happy with the quality of the part. No, they are not cheap, but where else are you going to get stuff like this. Moog stopped making many of these low-volume parts decades ago, so unless you find an NOS or old stock replacement part on ebay, Rare Parts is about your only option. You might also want to try Craig at Mobileparts ( 516 - 485 - 1935 ). He's got a warehouse full of NOS stuff like this. Craig doesn't do email very frequently, so call him and leave a message. He will get back to you. And FYI, the only interchange is 1964-1970 A100 and A108 vans.