What is this clamp for?

64R

That my friend is for the fuel filter. On an unairconditioned car, the filter will have one inlet which faces down, and the outlet side leads to the carburetor. The trick is getting the fuel line routed around and through the brackets, etc. from the fuel pump to the filter. Finding a replacement filter that is the correct diameter to fill the bracket is not an easy task unless you can find some OE items on ebay or from a vendor. My experience is that the correct AC part number that you can get from NAPA et. al. has been made smaller and you can't clamp it in the bracket.

Ed

Wow, I would never have guessed that. Mine is a non AC car, lucky me, not that I live in a overly hot area but it would still be nice to have. No doubt finding a fuel filter like that would be a challenge. Thanks as always for your help, you certainly do have a lot of Riv knowledge!

Fuel filters for A/C cars are quite easy to find. I can give you part numbers if you need them.

The return vent line on A/C equipped cars actually points up when the filter is installed in the bracket, as does the outlet line that runs to the carb. The end of the filter with the single nipple is the inlet.

Jim

Sure.

For cars without A/C: Wix 33032 Hastings GF9 NAPA 3032

Actually, any filter with a 5/16" inlet and outlet nipple will work.

And to help others with A/C:

For cars WITH A/C: AC GF423 Hastings GF19 Motorcraft FG13

NAPA 3040 or 3081 Purolator F21117 or F10035 Service Champ 58050

Wix 33040 or 33081

HTH.

I believe some of the Wix filters are those clear glass jobs. A bit more flashy but I doubt they'll fit in the clamp. The NAPA filters should fit without a problem. Their non AC filter didn't look any smaller than the AC one for my 65. Actually the one you have probably fits, it looks just like the NAPA filter.

Edited by Vetter (see edit history)

All of the filter numbers listed should fit the clamp. One thing they don't always include is a couple of rubber rings to go around the filter, that the clamp then tightens upon. If you try to put the metal clamp directly on the metal filter housing, it does not work well. Go find some big o-rings to use instead, if you need them.