Found this on Craigslist

Guest jpatino

Thanks for the link to the pictures Matt.

My experience after chasing down cars in as deteriorated a state as these from pictures seen, is that they are even a lot worse when you go there and actually see them. In all due respect ,adding that to the difficulty of retreiveing many of them, it might be more realistic for the owner to sell stripping rights priced on a car by car basis, or allow those ones that would be really hard to remove to be taken for a low (or no) price. Some day it's going to be costly to clear the land.

I don't know how current the photos are, but the ad was placed yesterday, 9-7-10. It looks like he needs to hire a logger before he needs to sell anything. I am still intrigued, but I don't see much potential left there. I know of a similar "collection" here in North Carolina too.

Guest Timthemailman

Most of those trees don't look over 15-20 yrs old. Chain saw would cut em at the ground in 30 sec. Don't know if any would be restorable but looks like a treasure chest for some of those hard to find parts.

I new a guy here where i live that had 6-7 old cars from the 30s parked under the trees very complet and not beatup. Ask him to sell me one and he said there just like money in the bank. A year later he went away for some reason that summer and came back to find them all on there side junked. Not much of a Bank.

We can't save all the old or rare ones but what was allowed to happen to these grand old pieces of "American Iron" is just plain wrong. I see a lot of donor cars and trucks here and a few that might be worth restoring. I also see a cheap way for someone to get their land cleared. Is the price based on the damage one does to the surrounding vehicles while getting at the one they want?

Guest Kingoftheroad

Some cool pix !

As heart breaking as it is to see classics in that bad of condition, some of those pixs would make good framed automotive art (like someone said, a Hemmings Calender). Looks like some hard to find parts might be had there too..

Guest Silverghost

I knew of a place like this in South Jersey about five a years ago. I tried to buy an Auburn hulk ~

The owner would not sell.

"Those were my daddy's cars."

He died a few years back and the new owners of the farm ran a dozer over the lot & called the scrap man !

Nothing was saved !

That is pathetic. I once was taken to a place like that near Modesto, CA just prior to a new road going through the area, which was to go right through the wrecking yard. I remember several V-16's and V-12's. Most of the cars had full size trees growing through them somewhere. I don't think there was anything newer than about a '41. They probably all became beer cans too.

I still think about that place a lot.

The central valley of California is rife with stories like that one Erndog!!! Some decades(4) ago I offered a "Vintage Yard" owner in the Fresno area 2-3 times the price for a '26-'28 Buick that had been a "Yellow Cab" for most of it's life. He refused on the grounds the buyers for the then "Harrah's Car Collection " might be interested in it at some point. To this day I do not believe the Buick was ever sold to Harrah or anyone else for that matter. I really hate to think of what's going to happen to most of those old sweethearts in those photos

Guest Silverghost

Did you notice that most were painted green ?

I wonder if one person once owned all these when new ?

Years ago we once knew an old guy who bought a new car every six months !

He was never satisfied with any of them~

He traded them all in to new car dealers with 3000 or less miles !

I would have loved to have been his new car dealer !

He always paid cash~

Think of the money he lost to depreciation ?

Edited by Silverghost (see edit history)

hi mark, i lived in fresno for many years, use to go out to romo's auto wrecking on north motel drive near shaw ave., also globe salvage yard on south elm i think, and also turner's wrecking on south willow right off of old hwy 99, it's so sad that fresno's made romo's get out of the wrecking business. charles coker, 1953 pontiac tech advisor, fresno armenian native.