Painted my '70 Saturday.

Sweepspear

Dale,

If the car is only HALF as good looking as the picture shows, you have a career waiting for you as a painter. I have seen a $10,000 paint job ( The owner was bragging how much he paid ) the made an orange look smooth as glass.

It looks great!

So, are going to have it yet this year? or wait until spring? There is a BOP/GMC show this Saturday in Apple Valley at Valley Buick/GMC if you want to have a sneak showing.

Dale,

If the car is only HALF as good looking as the picture shows, you have a career waiting for you as a painter. I have seen a $10,000 paint job ( The owner was bragging how much he paid ) the made an orange look smooth as glass.

It looks great!

So, are going to have it yet this year? or wait until spring? There is a BOP/GMC show this Saturday in Apple Valley at Valley Buick/GMC if you want to have a sneak showing.

Thanks Kevin!

Don't know if you recall since it was some time ago, but it is wearing the hood I bought from you several years ago.

Not sure I will get it entirely done before winter, but springtime for sure!

I think I remember seeing that exact same car before ? :rolleyes:

. . . yah done good Dale !! ;)

Yeah, I know. I've been spreading it around. :P

Hey Dale super job looks very good. I have been thinking about painting my Chevelle myself just have not gained enough of courage. I have read numerous posts on other web sites about getting the best spray gun and big compressor than see posts like yours where the person was using a lower priced gun and small compressor. I guess it goes to show you that if you set your mind on doing something it can definitely be done. Again you should be proud, great job and thanks for sharing.

Hey Dale super job looks very good. I have been thinking about painting my Chevelle myself just have not gained enough of courage. I have read numerous posts on other web sites about getting the best spray gun and big compressor than see posts like yours where the person was using a lower priced gun and small compressor. I guess it goes to show you that if you set your mind on doing something it can definitely be done. Again you should be proud, great job and thanks for sharing.

I also did a lot of research and read many posts on other boards.

Most of which said you can't use an HVLP gun with a small compressor.

My compressor is rated 6.5cfm @90psi, and 8.5cfm @ 40psi.

The gun is rated at 12cfm @45psi.

Of course this isn't ideal, but if you are just doing a panel at a time and allow the compressor to catch up a little it can work. The pot life on this 2k paint is 2 hours, so stopping for a minute or two won't hurt.

I contemplated renting a bigger compressor, but in the end just decided to go for it.

Sometimes you have to work with what you have.

What kind of paint did you spray and what type of working conditions did you spray it in? I have gotten my cars painted in Mexico for years, however, with all the killings there, I won't go near the place. Three of my cars need painting and I too am trying to work up the courage. Great Job!

Hey Dale I have to check my compressor spec's again it is a 60 gal, single stage not sure of the cfm but think it is around 9-11 cfm at 90 psi. I was always reading to use a LVLP gun but alot of those are very expensive. I don't mind spending the money for something that I am going to use but I will not be painting cars for a living.

You have are interest Dale I am also interested in what kind of primer and paint you used. Did your car require alot of body work. You always read that the preparation is very important. I guess you set up your garage for painting with, plastic coverings and a fan. I read about alot of guys painting in the driveway early mornings before the bugs are out. Just curious what you did in this case.

Thanks Dale, be proud, you did a great job and I am jealous.

Well, you asked, so here is what I did step by step for the most part. ;)

Thanks again for all the kind words. :o

I used Sherwin Williams primer and paint.

The primer is called Finsh 1 FP410. A high build primer.

The color is 3rd Dimension 5.0 single stage Urethane Enamel.

These are their value line products similar to PPG Omni.

I bought both at a local Sherwin Williams automotive paint store.

When I was looking into buying paint, I stopped by a few of the local auto parts stores that are also PPG paint dealers. But, I couldn't find anyone that was knowledgeable enough to give me guidance, or the person in the know wasn't in when I stopped in. They also seemed bothered by my questions. Their loss.

This Sherwin Williams store wanted my business and was very helpful.

This car is for the most part a very rust free car.

The only 2 spots that had bubbling under the surface was just above both rear wheels.

When I ground down these areas I discovered bondo from a previous repair.

I cut all this out and welded in metal patches. Approximately 2" x 8" sections.

The majority of the paint was in good shape, just a lot of nicks and scratches.

After removing the trim I washed the car down using Dawn dish washing liquid. I had read that this was very good at removing any wax. As a good measure I also wiped it down with wax & grease remover.

I sanded the old finish to roughen it up and feather any nicks with a random orbital sander using 80 grit paper.

I bought an aerosol can of SEM self etching primer to spray on those spots were I had exposed bare metal.

I then sprayed 4 good coats of the high build primer. This is where I left off last year.

Come Spring, I block sanded the car dry with 320 grit paper and used a black guide coat to see any low spots and keep track of where I was.

What a dusty mess this process was.

Then sprayed another 3 coats of primer and blocked it again wet using 500 grit paper. I didn't guide coat it this time. I probably should have, but felt I had it pretty straight from the first round of blocking.

Time for the color.

As many of you know first hand, we had many days of hot and humid weather here in the Midwest. More so than normal.

It seemed that during the work week the temp, humidity, and dew point would drop only to return just in time for the weekend. :mad:

For Labor day weekend the forecast for Saturday was a high of 68* with low humidity and light wind out of the NW. Perfect! I forewarned the Wife not to make any plans or honey do lists for Saturday. ;)

It wasn't until I went to mix the paint that I noticed I wasn't sold enough reducer.

The color used a 4-2-1 ratio of color, reducer, hardener instead of the 4-1-1 of the primer.

So the first several coats were a little on the rich side only being reduced ½ as far down as recommended.

For the last 2 coats I did reduce it down as instructed.

I went around the car 6 times, (maybe 7) and still have a little less than a quart of color left for future use.

And here I was fretting that a gallon wouldn't be enough, especially when I found out I didn't have all the reducer that was recommended.

How I prepared the garage.

I bought a 12' x 400' roll of painter's plastic and covered the ceiling and all sides. The ceiling was more time consuming than I expected. I took down all my florescent fixture and cleaned them of nearly 20 years of accumulated dirt as I went along.

I used an electric staple gun and cut up bits of cardboard to staple into, so the staple wouldn't pull through the plastic.

For the windows, I found at Menards a roll of furnace filter material. Cut to size and stapled in the same manner as the plastic. I wish it would have come in the color white and not blue, but oh well.

I also covered the intake side of 2 old 20” box fans I used as exhaust fans. They have induction motors so there is no risk of a spark igniting the fumes.

I closed the garage door down on top of the fans, and closed off the remaining openings with plastic sheeting.

The night before I hosed down the floor and used a squeegee to remove any dust.

For my personal protection, I bought a quality respirator with charcoal filters rated for organic vapors including Urethanes.

There is a lot of disagreement as to wether these are adequate or not. While a fresh air system would be ideal, I felt that for the limited exposure I was going to have along with the ventilation I provided for they would work fine.

You will have to decide if they are what you want to use for yourself. I am not endorsing charcoal filters as the way to go.

I also wore a paint suit that covered me head to toe, along with chemical resistant gloves and goggles for the eyes.

Since I have one elderly neighbor who's garage is right next to mine, I gave him a heads up a few days ahead of time when I primed and then painted. I suggested he may not want to work in his garage or garden for a couple of hours on those days. He did anyway, but I felt better knowing I let him know ahead of time.

I think that about covers it.

post-52228-143138299775_thumb.jpg

post-52228-143138299782_thumb.jpg

post-52228-143138299789_thumb.jpg

post-52228-143138299795_thumb.jpg

post-52228-143138299801_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sweepspear
SP. (see edit history)

Thanks for the detailed explanation you are giving me the courage and inspiration to give it try. I am leaning toward a base coat clear coat system and my Chevelle is dark green metallic with white strips. I do have several places to repair some body rust mainly on the rear quarters near the trunk and the rear glass area other than that it is pretty solid.

Thanks again appreciate you taking the time to explain what you did to accomplish a nice job. Take care Dale.

Thanks for the great information. FWIW to all, I have spoken to few people that have painted their cars themselves and have used Sherwin Williams products and they love them. Also, I was recently speaking to an auto body teacher who felt the same about the S-W products and added that their clear is easier to buff out compared to other brands. Sounds good for the people that are learning as they go.

Guest wildcat62

Dale, the car looks fantastic. If I can make a suggestion, submit an article and photos to Ray for the Riview. He loves getting articles and I think a lot of members would enjoy reading it. "How to" stories can be very inspiring to a lot of folks. :)

Good job, hope to see it as well out and about.

Guest Kingoftheroad
Thanks for the great information. FWIW to all, I have spoken to few people that have painted their cars themselves and have used Sherwin Williams products and they love them. Also, I was recently speaking to an auto body teacher who felt the same about the S-W products and added that their clear is easier to buff out compared to other brands. Sounds good for the people that are learning as they go.

I have to agree, I use a local S-W shop for all my auto painting needs. For my last paint job I used S-W urethane enamel, I'd use it again...

Edited by Kingoftheroad (see edit history)

Dale, the car looks fantastic. If I can make a suggestion, submit an article and photos to Ray for the Riview. He loves getting articles and I think a lot of members would enjoy reading it. "How to" stories can be very inspiring to a lot of folks. :)

Good job, hope to see it as well out and about.

Thanks Kris!

Once I have it all together I will do that!

I thank everyone for their encouraging comments.:)

Dale,

Google Maps says its 645 miles from Minneapolis to Branson and will take you 10 hours and 45 minutes to get there. Looking forward to seeing it there. I'll bet there's a convoy headed that way and you'd fit right in.

Burgers and beers at my place on Monday night in the KC area before we ROA members from here head out for the 3 hour drive to Branson on Tuesday. We'd love to have any one passing through Kansas City on Monday join us.

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Here is a book " How to Paint Your Car on a Budget" for the amateur that is considering painting their own car. I think is is one of the better ones out here and worth under $20 price. I highly recommend it. It also gives techniques on how to achieve better than average results from discount production shops (i.e. Maaco) and prep your car yourself. That is often the only option for many of us that may not have all the spray equipment and will likely only paint one car ever. If the links below do not work, here are the ISBNs 9781932494228. Another good book is "How to paint Your Car" from Motorbooks ISBN 9780760315835. It has an excellent first part explaining paints and primers. And another book that also has a decent body repair section from HP Books " Pro Paint and Body" ISBN 1557883947 . After studying all three books I feel ready to take a shot at my first paint job.

Amazon.com: 9781932494228: Books

Amazon.com: 9780760315835: Books

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=sr_adv_b/?search-alias=stripbooks&unfiltered=1&field-keywords=&field-author=&field-title=&field-isbn=1557883947&field-publisher=&node=&field-p_n_condition-type=&field-feature_browse-bin=&field-binding_browse-bin=&field-subject=&field-language=&field-dateop=&field-datemod=&field-dateyear=&sort=relevanceexprank&Adv-Srch-Books-Submit.x=0&Adv-Srch-Books-Submit.y=0

Edited by Paul K. (see edit history)

Here is a book " How to Paint Your Car on a Budget" for the amateur that is considering painting their own car.

I checked that vey book out from the library.

It was very informative.

All the how to paint your car books I have are old, and other than basic prepping they are 30+ years out of date when it comes to paint technologies.