dual exhaust

Guest 65riviera925

Guest 65riviera925

wanted to remove stock exhaust and install dual glass packs on my 65 rivi has any body had any issues with this or advise . what size g/p u used? thanks you guys you always have good advise.

On my 63, I took it to a muffler shop I really trust. The x frame makes it a little more complicated that traditional cars from the 60's. We ended up with two glasspacks up front and two smaller glasspacks per side tucked back behind the rear wheel close to the rocker panel/frame rail. If you only use one per side, you'll likely get a lot of popping when you decelerate. it has a nice mellow sound and you can't even see the pipes from the side. It looks clean, stock...but sounds a little better. PRL

I just had some exhaust work done on my '65. I have two 22" glass packs under the floor pan. With turn downs at the rear bumper. My car is lowered. And this setup works well. Another option is a "crossflow" muffler (like magnaflo or flomaster). These are made for Camaros but I think they will work in the stock muffler location on a Riv.

I have done exhaust on my car three times in the last two years. The latest is with the Magnaflow crossflow talked about above. My car is REAL LOW, and this worked best as it put a performance muffler behind the axle in the stock location. As mentioned, the X frame presents unique problems in the front as well as the rear. Dual turbo mufflers mounted near the front of the passinger compartment tend to get rather warm under your feet on long trips. Having the crossflow behind the axle remedied this situation, too.

I put a set of Magnaflow's behind the rear axle on either side of the fuel tank tucked up near the frame rails. I wish I would have taken a picture of it but with only 8in of tail pipe after the muffler it was agressive from outside and behind but pretty mild in the car. If you wanted to quiet it down more you can put some small glasspack/race bullets in the middle of the car in the short straight section of the X-frame.