'56 front wheel bearings

JohnD1956

I started the day wanting to adjust the brakes on my 56. Turned out I was having problems rotating the adjuster so I decided to pull the drum for better access. When doing so the inner wheel bearing fell apart, the cage was broken in several pieces.

With less than 5,000 miles this is the third set I have had to install. For this particular set I installed new races as well. And not having access to a 4th set immediately I went and pulled out the spare set of drums I've had since 1975. The first thing I noticed is the dust seal on the 75 drums ( which may be the original seals) are a double steel flange with a felt packing sandwiched between. For all the other sets I installed all I got was a single steel flange with a rubber boot. See the pictures below. The manual shows the double flange seals but I'm wondering if they are available?

My question is: Do you think these single flange seals are the root cause of the bearing failure?

post-31834-143138296379_thumb.jpg

post-31834-143138296399_thumb.jpg

I don't think the seals have anything to do with your bearing failure in fact I always replace the old felt type seals with modern rubber lip seals as the seal better and keep water out. It is strange that you have had a number of failures so you better have a good look for another reason. Each bearing and race should always be replaced as a set, also don't pack the centre of the hub full of grease as it retains heat and can cause surplus grease to push past the seal and find its way on to your brakes. Just pack the bearing itself with grease and pull some grease against the inside of the bearing with your finger and of course don't overtighten the nut.

Koala

John

Some observations, questions and thoughts:

It looks like the seal is not doing much good anyway.

I have never had to replace an inner front wheel bearing and only a few outer front bearings.

Were the replacement bearings NOS or NORS or some furrin' made junk?

Install the used ones with the used dust seal, pack with Valvoline synthetic grease and then check when you service the brakes.

Willie

Thanks Willie and Koala, for responding. I took off the other side today and that bearing was okay. I compared the two set up's and found both allowed the inner bearing set to float freely while off the spindle, but the single style seal had a lot more play than the old style seal. So I took Willies advice, and installed my spare drums with the old style seals. I hope I can find a set of the old style seals somewhere.

I'll try to drive it as much as I can and then check the bearings later on.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest NikeAjax

John, one of the tricks I use to remove a seal if I want to keep it is: put the drum up on some wooden blocks. Take a socket and extension that will fit through the outer race but not through the inner bearing, and whack it good but not too hard with a big wooden mallet, like the one's in the old cartoons! Anyway, that's how I do it; hope that will help,

Jaybird