Paint/interior 37' 812

mercer09

Justin,

Looks like you know quite a bit about these cars! Guessing you have one or maybe two?

I'm looking at two cars this week and believe I will be buying one. Not sure which one. In any case, will update my posting when I make a purchase.

Thanks for all of the info.!

I have never owned one (yet) but have been a big fan for over 20 years. I have driven and ridden in several and find them to be very nice riding and fun to drive, if things are working properly. There is a wealth of knowledge available for these cars and every one that has an enthusiastic owner is one more back on the road and in use. I completely support that and so I'm happy to help with my meager knowledge when possible.

Good luck with your shopping! I'd like to hear about both you're looking at if you care to share.

Justin

Justin,

just bought a new copy of Josh Malks Cord the timeless classic.

Used to own a copy, but got rid of it. Bought another and it does have all of the paint/interior colors in it. Further explains the specs and production figures.

Surprised I found a copy so easily, as I know they are out of print.

Excellent acquisition. Josh is one of the highest respected experts on the marque. If you really get into Cord I strongly recommend his latest book Cord Complete. It is *the* reference on Cord. If you order directly from his publisher you will get a personally signed copy: Cord Complete

I also highly recommend joining the ACD Club. It is a great club that has an absolute wealth of information and friendly and knowledgeable people. Incidentally Josh Malks is the editor of the excellent club newsletter. There is also a searchable DVD available that contains all newletters from 1953-2009. It makes it very easy to find the multitude of technical articles that have been written over time. The club also has an excellent and active online forum. I really can't recommend the club enough - you can join online here: Join

Finally to end my pitch for today I also strongly recommend becoming a member of the Auburn Cord Duesenberg Museum. In my opinion it is one of the very best automotive museums in the world and is dedicated to these marques. It resides in the former headquarters building in Auburn, IN. In addition to using the actual headquarters as the actual museum there is an extensive archive of historical documentation related to these cars. The building, cars and archive are truly treasures! You can join the museum here: Museum Memberships

Sorry if I overdid it there! I love these marques and have been involved in these organizations for more than a decade. They are amazing cars and, even more importantly, there are so many great people dedicated to preserving them and their associated history. Welcome!

Justin

Well Justin, you certainly didn't overdo it. I will do all of the above.

I bought a Westchester yesterday. The good is that it is a nice solid car. The bad, well the pass head "rotted" from the inside out, with a nice hole in the center. Am going to have to figure if the head can be repaired, replaced or?

Am hoping that the whole engine isn't shot, but have no experience on these.

It's a 37 812 and non supercharged. I wish it were supercharged, but that is a pretty difficult car to find in Westchester form. I am partial to the Westchester, while having had the opportunity to buy several Beverlys, was hoping to find this car.

That's good news about the head and I did read your comment to the fellow selling the heads in May. Was expecting it to be more of a problem, but will have to see how the engine and trans runs.

The odometer is showing 69k, but it may well be 169k or more.

I am in NJ and still need to pu the car.

How much effort to install the side grills and seudo exhaust pipes? Does anyone know???

Thanks!

I am also partial the the Westchester. 37 has a couple of nice upgrades over 36 including Bendix brakes. Does it have the door on the cowl for oil & water fill? That was a late addition to the design and would indicate one of the late cars built.

There are numerous sources for parts. I suggest combing the newsletter and also posting wanted ads on the ACD Forum.

Justin

Hi- if your serial number is under 1000, then it's a 1936 810. The last few 1936 cars were modified and sold as 1937 models, and the last "official" 1936 was Serial Number 1525. Mine is 1550, thus an early 1937.

Good luck, they're fun cars, and beautiful.....

The car is one of the first 10 1937's built and not redated. Will be getting it within a month or so and will be able to go over it more accurately then. It is currently a dark maroon with a grey interior and plaid door panels. Am considering a "redder" rich maroon, geneva blue or maybe black. I would like to do the interior over in leather, although it didn't come that way. According to Josh's book, the cars were to be sold in just about any paint/interior configuration, just to make the sale.

Geneva blue with an ostrich print in rich saddle leather..... could be very exotic looking!

( or how about a gator print leather)? OK, just having fun here!

• 2 weeks later...

The car is one of the first ten "real" 37's produced and not a rebadge. I will post photos after I pick it up in the middle of October. It is currently a maroon repaint and am either going to paint it rich maroon or geneva blue or some close deviation of either. Think I am going to put the new repro heads on it, over going with an old head.

I would go for an original head, if I didn't think it would be a problem, but am concerned with putting a 70 + year old head on it. Am hoping the motor is good and that will be the next criteria.

• 3 weeks later...

Just got the car home last night. Almost had to put her to rest....

The rear wheels were locked up and it took me almost 5 hours to load her. If I had a 357 on me, I would have turned into Clint!

Anyway, her beauty makes up for her challenges.

Now to get her off the trailer....

Justin, thanks for the paint color. I am still trying to figure how to upload the pictures on this sight.

BTW, there is no preselector off of my column. Only a shift lever below the column with a knob on it. The preselector hole has been covered with a homemade tin plate.

So what have I got? The original motor appears correct as does the trans. What kind of conversion do I have???

Justin, thanks for the paint color. I am still trying to figure how to upload the pictures on this sight.

BTW, there is no preselector off of my column. Only a shift lever below the column with a knob on it. The preselector hole has been covered with a homemade tin plate.

So what have I got? The original motor appears correct as does the trans. What kind of conversion do I have???

I could post photos for you if you like. Send them to me at keiser31@charter.net

Here you go...

post-37352-143138338958_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138338966_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138338976_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138338985_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138338996_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138339012_thumb.jpg

Nice - a very salvageable car! Yes the motor is original. It sounds like the shifter has been modified at some point. I suggest contacting some experts for advice before deciding what direction to move in. Post up those pix on the ACD forum in the Cord 810/812 forum and you'll get lots of response. The more pix the better! If you need help posting them I can do it for you. Feel free to contact me via email at jkerns25 @ gmail.com - take out the spaces.

Congrats!

Justin

Thanks Justin. I need to take better photos. The weather was bad and so it is.

Am planning on tackling those rear wheels today-literally and see if I can free them up.

Would also like to get that head pulled this week.

Any idea of who sells the headgaskets?

The seats are original for the most part and I am going to leave them alone for know. Looks like the carpet was replaced. The outside paint is definitely a 30 footer!

I will take your advice and get signed up with the clubs and go from there.

Hi,

If you would post the actual serial number of the car then a lot of questions can be answered.

I am curious about the modified shifter. Perhaps someone rigged a home-made mechanical shifter, installed a Genie Shifter mechanical linkage, or created a new electric switch all on their own. There have been articles published about the Genie Shifter conversion. Pictures would be great!

I am glad you found a Cord. If you need a second one, mine is still available.

;)

--Tom

Tom, the body # is C90983, as listed in Josh's Timeless Classic.

Thank you for the offer of the 2nd one, but am wondering if I can afford the 1st one!

I will take better photos and especially, of the shifter. It appears to be only mechanical?

A rod below the steering column with a shifter knob.

While I am in preference of originality, I cannot honestly say that I think a rear wheel drive conversion

is the worst thing in the world. This is a tough car to get "right" .

Trying to post on the ACD Club forum and am having trouble with the website. Won't allow me to post. Anyone else have this problem?

Pulled all of the hoses today and everything clogged with silica and rust. The 2 elbows that join the heads to the intakes are rotted. I spoke with a friend yesterday and he said that I should avoid the "new head" manufacturer in ElPaso. Lots of problems with him. Any suggestions on new or used heads, gaskets and the elbows previously mentioned? Also , how to best "clean out" the motor?

thanks in advance!