OH NO!, Belt squeal returning!

Guest Richard D

Guest Richard D

I have put about fifty miles on the car since the Harmonic balancer, CPS, tension pully and belt replacement and the belt has begun to squeal again, not real loud but slowly getting louder and this is how the original problem started that caused all the damage. When I first picked it up it was silent, no belt noise at all. I wonder if the belt streched?

Thank's Again,

Richard.

PS I will take it back to the shop on Tuesday but I can't imagine he installed a bad brand new GM balancer. Maybe the tension spring?

I solved the problem by releasing the belt from the tensioner,then take some fine emery sand paper and clean off the pully on the front of the water pump.

Guest Richard D

Thank's I will give it a try. Did you just emery the top of the grooves or did you go to the bottom of each groove? One thing I did was give the ribbed side a quick shot of belt dressing while it was running and it was instantly silenced, for about 8-10 seconds then came back. Adding tension to the tension pully made no difference.

Guest Richard D

I used my stethascope and listened to every pully the belt touches, slight rumble from the new tension pully, slight clicking from A/C, water and PS pump quiet, etc. No squeal from any of them, before I could hear it slightly from the crankshaft pully, new one is silent. Is there any adjustment for belt alignment on anything it drives?

Thank's to all,

Richard

ps, I wonder if the rubber on this belt has hardened?

I would take off the belt and turn all the pulleys by hand. Try and determine if one is really stiff.

I believe the noise is from the belt having difficulty turning something, water pump, alternator, power steering pump, and maybe the idler. The harmonic balancer should not be the problem as it is the driver, the a/c can be turned on and off to see if anything changes.

The other possibility is the belt is too long........is the belt tensioner at the end of its travel?

Guest Richard D

I did clean the water pump pully and added tension to the belt, no difference, A/c on or off also makes no difference. I think I have no choice but to buy another belt, this time a Dayco? I always thought Gates made the best rubber items.