ALDL connector cover

wws944

I was over at Kitskaboodles place yesterday. One of the things we noticed is that his car does not have the cover for the ALDL connector. So no jumper for the two pins completing the loop. I am wondering if this could explain the intermittent ERROR display on his IPC? The ERROR happened right away. But after driving around the block a couple of times, mostly went away...

I was thinking the same. The loop would allow for a redundant path. But with the ends open, there might be the possibility of noise and mismatched signal levels. (E.g., like not correctly terminating old-school SCSI on the ends...)

In any event, Kit is going to try to find a correct ALDL cover and see what effect it has.

• 5 years later...
On August 31, 2010 at 11:29 AM, padgett said:

Good idea. Just be aware that an 88 ALDL cover has different jumpers from an 89-90 and I do not know about a 91.

Does anyone know where I can find information, on which pins on the ALDL are jumpered by the ALDL cover on the 1990 model ?

Or, maybe someone with a 90, if its not too much to ask, can you photo graph the inside of your cover and see if it has any metallic-looking pins that engage with the ALDL connector when the cover is placed over the connector ?   I'd be really really grateful

Thanks.   Which side is the right side ?   Are the two pins in the same row, or same column, or are they in a different row and column from one another, i.e., diagonal ?   If diagonal are they separated by one, two, or three blank spaces between ?   Thanks again

Maybe a decent article here, for those into the nitty gritty details, I notice on page 15 it describes L and M terminals on the ALDL, calling one a "serial data loop" and the other a "serial data link".   According to the schematic provided by Padgett (thanks again) above, it seems odd it was referred to by two different names.  Maybe its late, I've been up since 6 and its the heat getting to me ?   Here's the article, I hope you find it of some use maybe:   http://tomboynton.com/GMnetworks.pdf

I had a little hope that jumpering that might resolve my intermittent tachometer / coolant gauge issue with the IPC, but nope.  Well, I stuck a jumper in there btw. L and M terminals.   At least now if the data link fails elsewhere, things won't go immediately haywire.   Thanks again guys, I had searched and searched the internet for the answer - there is nothing out there on this.   Then again "google" seems to me to be returning mostly irrelevant search results anymore    

Edited by ChrisWhewell (see edit history)

16 minutes ago, Guest of you all here said:

Chris-

I found some stuff

Thanks again Guest.   Do you know if our cars have the ability to "learn" things, data, from how we drive as perceived by the various sensors ?   I think my 93 vette has that ability, like after 10 or 20 start-run-drive-off -start-run-drive-off... cycles, the ECMof some other module learns and bases future values on its past experience.  When you disconnect the battery it forgets all that and has to re-learn it.   Do you know if our cars learn like that ?

This post is a blast from the past.  Kit and I found an appropriately jumpered ALDL cover for his car at a wrecking yard a long time ago.  However IIRC am pretty sure he also replaced his instrument cluster - again with one found on a wrecking yard car - that worked better than the one he had.  He has since found and fixed a number of other problems in his Reatta.  And now that everything is working, he is looking at selling it soon...  (I suggested selling one of his Fieros instead, but he didn't like that idea.)