locked out

Guest laddy

Hey,

I have a 1939 Dodge sedan. Sunday, I was headed to a car show, went to throw a chair in the trunk and.....No! The handleturns to the right, the right side unlatches but the left side doesn't move a hair. Any ideas???? I hate to take out the back seat and face that bolted in spare tire...I am not that youg or thin any more. As I recall turning the handle engaged a bar to the right and left to close the trunk. I never paid much attention to the mechanism because it always worked. I should have been more observant! Any help greatly appreciated!!! Thanks in advance. Fred

Thanks for your help.....I don't think taking out the screws from the outside handle mecahanism will help me at all....I fear i have to go through the back seat.... Any help is greatly appreciated!!!! Fred

laddy, Bill just checked our Dodge and realized that the lock mechanism is out of the car (it is still sort of a basket case :o) so he can't tell how it should work.

However, I have sent an e-mail to former AACA President Dave Berg who happens to have, or has had, a restored 1939 Dodge. I will let you know when I hear back from him.

I just heard back from Dave. Unfortunately he can't help as you can see by his reply.

Hi Susan,

I'm afraid I wouldnt know what to tell the fellow. My car is a business coupe and you can crawl into the trunk from behind the seat by opening a panel. A sedan would not have that to my knowledge. Sorry, I wish I could help.

best regards

dave

Any chance someone at the Library and Research Center could look this up for you? Members of AACA get 1 1/2 hours of free research.

Edited by Shop Rat
Correct a typing error. (see edit history)

laddy...Welcome to the AACA Forum.

May benefit to post in the Dodge Forum (scroll down a bit and you will see it.)

To check with "your" AACA Library & Research Center as Susan mentioned click on "Library" on the Home Page. It is self explanatory how to make a research request. If you join the AACA which is a great deal you will receive 1 1/2 hours "per year" of free research time. We retain the finest automotive archives within the old vehicle hobby.

Your Librarian, Chris Ritter will handle any requests.

Regards,

Peter.

Thanks to all for the help. I went to a cruise in and 4 or 5 large guys tried to open it but nothing. I took the back seat out folded the cardbord backing between the seat and the trunk and got a look inside. The mechanism had unlatched. I went outside and gave it a lumber jack pull but no go. I slipped a plastic scrapper betwee the trunk lid and body of the car and used a large bladded screw driver to pry. It is open!!! Apparently the heat had melted the old rubber gasket and welded it shut. I hit the rubber gasket with a good dose of WD 40. It seems to be woking fine again. I appreciate all your help and suggestions. Fred