Sign in to follow this  
stealthbob

Buddy Holly's '58 Impala

Just came upon this...neat story. Anyone in Texas see this car?

...here is the only version of restored I found:

Guest BJM

Very interesting Bob. Thanks for sharing. I think it deserved restoration. In that dilapidated condition it wasn't really a survivor. Missing seats. It appears to have been a salvage yard parts car. I wonder how anyone figured out it was Buddy Hollys?

on a side note, I think the 58 Chevys are so much better styled then the 57's. Why 58's don't "out-popular" the 57 is only because of the "me too" pop culture that permeates America.

I agree...if it were in better shape maybe keep it but it obviously was past its ability to properly show as is.

There was a car purported to be Buddy Holly's '58 Impala up for bid at the January Barrett-Jackson auction in Scottsdale (if my memory serves me correctly), but it was pulled a day or two before the auction, because it did not have sufficient provenance that positively indicated that it was the same vehicle Holly once owned.

Not saying it isn't, but they couldn't apparently prove beyond the shadow of a doubt that it was. I sure hope it was, that would be so "cool", of course.

As a early rock 'n' roll fan (hence, my handle here), I am very much intrigued by the "cars of the stars", particularly the early rock 'n' roll stars, and what they owned. Elvis of course has the '55 Pink Cadillac he bought for his Mom (and still can be see at the car museum across the street from Graceland), and had several other cars that have since been auctioned off.

About 7-8 years ago, a general Elvis auction featuring his white '56 Lincoln Continental that he bought in Jacksonville, FL on 8/4/56, that he promptly drove several hundred miles to his next gig in New Orleans, went for $256,000; that was one of the few cars Elvis owned from the time he originally bought it until he died. A black 1960 Lincoln Limousine that he had special-ordered (with provenance) from Ford in the summer of 1959 while he was in the Army in Germany, was awaiting his arrival back home in March of 1960. That vehicle, which he owned for about five years, went for $515,000 at the B-J auction in (I believe) Scottsdale about a year or two ago.

Someone needs to put together a book on the rock 'n' roll stars from those early days (at least the '50s until the early '70s), and the cars they had; just a couple that immediately come to mind--I've seen pics of Roy Orbison and Frankie Avalon with late '50s "square birds"; the one featuring the Big O has Roy apparently getting ready to leave on tour, as he has his guitar case in his hand; the one with Frankie is with a red '58 or '59 T-bird.

Guest BJM

starfireelvis,

Regarding paying uber bucks for a farmer stars car, I think that is left in the hands of those with more money then brains. Even if I had the wherewithall to purchase an Elvis car with Provenance I doubt I would drop $500,000 for it or so. I would pay a premium to be usre, but those prices are several thousand percent more then average.

I could buy a lot of cool cars that would give me just as many smiles.

As for the Buddy Holly 58 Impala, it seems pretty obvious from Bob's provided clip what the provenance would be - they showed the original bill of sale and the numbers matched that car and that car only.

Nicely done 58 Impala 2 door hardtops go for nice money anyway so it's hard to say what it would go for.

That car in the clip was in very bad shape though so it would take a strong shop to restore it, probably $75,000. I would leave the pedals as they were, as those pedals were pushed by Buddy.

But that's about it, as opposed to the Elvis cars which are undoubtedly original

Anytime the subject of monetary value or "worth" comes up I always feel compelled to say this.

By definition anything is worth what was paid for it...

The Pro athlete that is not worth that 10 million dollar contract? ...well by definition he was worth it to someone. Same goes to the cars, if someone is willing to pay 500,000 for a car that makes it worth 500,000.

I like the pedals comment btw...nice touch.

Yes, many of the people who buy cars at B-J undoubtedly do have more money than brains, whether it's a "celebrity" car or not.

I must confess I did not watch the video of the car, (time was short when I saw this link and had thought I had actually seen this story before some time ago, but will go back and do in case it's not the same one I saw); but as you said, if it is inded the same VIN, as is on documentation, wonder what made Barrett-Jackson doubt the validity of the car they had, unless we're of course talking two different '58 Impalas, and someone trying to pull one over them as the "real" Buddy Holly car, assuming this one here is the real deal, and the other is not.

Another "Elvis" story, if you can stand it. The purple '56 Cadillac Eldorado convertible on display at the car museum across the street from Graceland in Memphis was reportedly found in a salvage yard back in the mid-'70s, and the people restoring it somehow verified that the VIN number matched the car Elvis once bought from a local dealership (much more to that story there). Jist of this is that the owners planned on giving the car back to Elvis when they had completed the restoration, but Presley died shortly before the car was finished, and the owners decided that they would put the car on permanent loan to his Estate. One hell of a car, it was painted purple to match the color of the grapes Elvis had squeezed out on the hood of the car, which was originally white, with white leather interior.

Haven't read it yet, but the latest issue of Old Cars Weekly features Gary Cooper and his Duesenberg, along with other Golden Age actors and their fabulous vehicles.

Very interesting Bob. Thanks for sharing. I think it deserved restoration. In that dilapidated condition it wasn't really a survivor. Missing seats. It appears to have been a salvage yard parts car. I wonder how anyone figured out it was Buddy Hollys?

on a side note, I think the 58 Chevys are so much better styled then the 57's. Why 58's don't "out-popular" the 57 is only because of the "me too" pop culture that permeates America.

The 58 impalas were not as popular because they were not part of the saga of cars that started in 1955 and ended in 1957. Also the 57 was more popular because some people thought that the 58's were to curvy. In my opinion I like the 55 Chevy.

The 57 was a cruising machine, the 56 was a natural hotrod, the 58 was a cruising machine also but was not as popular as the 57. the 58's can be a hotrod if but it has to look good like the one in American Graffiti. The 55's were hotrods from hell if you knew how to do it and it doesnt take much.

I like the 57 better but sometimes less is more. the 58 implala just had to many curves for me.

Let me relate a story somewhat along these lines.Back in the late 70's I volunteered at a local community radio station (think PBS) in Tampa Fl. I had my own 50's&60's show on Sunday afternoons.One of the ways to raise money was a concert starring Bo Diddily who lived in north Fla.On an old album cover of his was his bands 57 Chevy stretch limo.I just happened to have a 56 Chevy limo at the time so we made arrangements to pick him up at the airport.When he came out to his "ride" he was astonished to see this car.It was 24' long,six doors,3 dome lights,double driveshaft etc etc. It was built by Armbruster in Ft.Smith AR.

First thing he said was how much and I want my square guitar on the back seat with a station employee guarding it.He sat up front with me.It was a long day and night but spending time with him and his stories it was well worth it.Sadly he is gone now but his great music lives on.

I sold that car many years ago but I can prove Bo owned it for one evening. Ed in Dade City,Fl

I can easily see greatly increased value in famous owners stuff. but...as far as the preference of a '58 over a '57...I'll take a '57 any day...and not because of it being more popular... I just like it's style better.