Did Buick Offer Two-Tone Combinations on The 1954 Century Convertible?

Guest Avanti

Guest Avanti

I see no evidence from period photographs or any of the 1954 color charts that Buick offered their Century convertible with a two-tone paint scheme (divided by the sweep spear). They all appear to be monotone.

Can any Buick experts confirm this? Thanks.

Two-tone paint was only for the roof in '54. The lower half of the car was all one color.

Color-change below the sweep-spear side-trim only came in '55.

It is a common modification, and not bad looking either, but not factory correct. It is also harder to do behind the rear wheel on hard-tops and converts in '54 because the trim does not have a clean ending with the tail-light like it does in '55 and '56.

Check out the 1954 Buick web site - very helpful info there, especially of you take the plunge or are thinking about it...

Happy wrenching,

Doug

Guest Avanti

Thanks. Yeah, the various '54 Century's I've seen with a two-tone finish on the body were re-painted by their owners and only have the lower section done between the wheels. Looks cool but not factory-correct.

54buickcentury_dsf.jpg

It is very common to see this on '54s because it does look nice but no, it was not like that from the factory. Hell I remember seeing an add stating original paint and it was painted with a different colour below the sweepspear....I guess sometimes people don't know what they have.

Like Fr Buick said, two tone was between roof and body colour only...and yes like he also stated if interested, come on by and check out the 1954Buick forums