radiator replacement

Joseph44

Hi Everyone: I'm planning on replaceing my radiator on a 1983 prk/ave my question is: I have 2 trans coolant lines on the radiator can I just disconnect the lines and let them hang there or do I have to cover the holes of the lines while I change the radiator? Thanks I really appreciate the help!!

That depends on whether the transmission fluid runs out or not, and i can't tell you that. It depends on the angle the car is parked at, how high the lines are when the come out of the transmission, how high and how many bends they have when they come forward to the radiator, etc. Just be prepared with a can to catch it, and some baling wire to string up the lines higher after you take them loose.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

If the ends are below the mid point of the trans there may be leakage, if above oil won't run up hill. Easy enough to plug or just jack up the front end. In any event cover the ends to keep out dirt and bugs...........Bob

Typically, the oil in the trans cooler and lines will drain back into the pan with the engine not running. You MIGHT get a few drips from the lower line, but nothing major . . . from my experiences. Still might be good to have a small drain pan under it for when you remove the lines. The lines usually will "stay put", unless there might be a non-OEM tweak in one of them . . . usually a two-line retainer will hold them to some part of the lower chassis, near the engine.

Not a major situation, depending upon how the vehicle is parked. Usually, MORE of an issue is spilled coolant, even after the radiator is completely drained.

Take care,

NTX5467