My brain is turning into oatmeal, help!

Guest Richard D

Guest Richard D

I have been getting service engine soon light lately, comes on about five minutes you start the car, hot or cold, then if I shut off the engine for a few seconds and restart it stays off. The thing is I have read in the FSM which pin to ground in the ALDL to count the light flashes and the trouble code listing. NOW I CAN'T FIND IT! Car runs fine at all times. Was I dreaming? Am I dreaming now?:confused:

Richard

Are you not able to get the codes using the built in diagnostics? If not...

For '88 model. 90 could be different.

Use a paper clip to jump between terminals A and B on the ALDL connector under the dash on the left hand side. It should have a cover on it. Next turn your key on but don't start. Watch your check engine light flash the code/s. The it will flash twice for each code, pause and then flash the next code stored.

EXAMPLE: code 12: one long flash and two short flashes

code 13: one long flash and 3 short flashes.

Note: code 12 is usually the first code you get and just ignore it. Watch for the codes after code 12, that's what you are looking for.

Edited by Ronnie (see edit history)

Guest Richard D

Hi Padgett, The device arrived today, many thank's. I thought that if you are getting the service engine soon light you read those codes by counting flashes, I got very good at that on my Fiero. Can I read the SES codes by entering the diagnostics mode through the A/C controller. Are the two systems interlinked? The older I get the more memory goes away. But ask me about any recording from the 70s and I can tell you when it came out, who recorded it and it's highest chart number. What useless information.

Thank You to all,

Richard