transmission 2nd to first downshift bump

Guest the chad

Guest the chad

I changed the dog bone(engine torque mount)and it still bumps at 14 miles an hour when braking or coasting to stated speed. My mechanic saw movement in the the hydraulic motor mount,a 200 dollar part. Would this cause bump in transmission.I searched and read one person had to replace some sort of plates in his tranny. 45,000 on engine and tranny. CAR set for along time and maybe dryrotted mount

Guest the chad

As mentioned mine does it at deaccelaration .I checked vacuum hose to modulator and it is fine. I might change modulator before I change the hydraulic motor mount. I was asking if this mount could affect tranny downshifts. Time and money I suppose and I have more of one than the other.Open to any other thoughts . Thank you everyone.

If the modulator valve has been replaced with an adjustable one you can soften the downshifts by adjusting it but it will also soften the upshifts. If you have the small adjustable type you can remove the vacuum hose, stick a small flat blade screwdriver inside the hole and turn the screw 1/2 turn at a time and then test drive. If I remember correctly, screwing it out will soften the shifts.

I had similar thunks in my 1988. The motor/transmission mounts were worn but the problem was in the throttle body check "balls" and plates. The technician replaced the parts but did not add the proper amount of fluid ( two quarts needed ). Once the plates/balls and fluid was replaced, the thunks went away. My transmission had approximately 100,000 miles on it.

Guest Mike_s

Was the trans ok before being stored?

Since the car did set for a long time perhaps some of the valves and balls internal to the trans that barra referred to have gummed up, so you might consider changing the tranny fluid and maybe replacing the filter.