1962 olds starfire

Guest VicRattlehead

Guest VicRattlehead

Im having an issue with the carb on this car, studders at tip in throttle. Im trying to figure out what carb this is so i can get a rebuild kit for it but not sure.

as far as i know its original to the car. its a Rochester and has "4JET" stamped on it.

the only number i found on anything is a "RP13429" its stamped on an arm that is on the front of the carb attached to the throttle linkage. it pushes down on a rubber plug on the front top of the carb.

im going to guess its the stock carb but cant say for sure.

any help is appreciated.

thanks,

keith

It is a Rochester 4gc and a 4gc is the correct carb for a '62 Starfire. It may not be the correct 4gc for your car but probably is. Get a rebuild kit from NAPA or any other reputable source and there will be a schematic of the carb with the kit.

Observe the schematic and make notes and drawings as you dismantle the carb, and reassemble it in reverse order after thoroughly cleaning the body, top, and all components after taking it apart. Before removing the idle mixture screws screw each one all the way in and count the revolutions before the screw bottoms out. Then after the carb is rebuilt when replacing the idle mixture screws just screw them all the way in and back each one out to it's original setting. There are two sizes of check balls on each end of the accelerator pump circuit, one small and one large. Be sure to not get them reversed as the small one can get wedged into the hole that is under the larger one and the only way to get it out is to fabricate a tube which will allow pressure from a grease gun to force it out. The check ball thing should be covered in the rebuild instructions with the kit. Other than the check ball thing 4gcs are fairly simple carbs and rebuilding one is straightforward.

The main thing about rebuilding the old carbs is to thoroughly clean them out; don't just switch out the gaskets. I like to soak the body, top, and all components of carbs I rebuild in the $20 a gallon carb cleaner from NAPA, O'Reillys, or another reputable parts store, then clean everything with hot soapy water, and following that blow everything out with a high pressure air hose. If the carb was really filthy I will scrape/brush everything off/out in a pan of mineral spirits before soaking in the carb cleaner. To clean the circuits out use a brake fluid bulb and squirt the mineral spirits and carb cleaner repeatedly through all of the passages within the carb. Sometimes I will also boil them out in a solution of 50/50 Simple Green and water in a metal pan over a propane burner. The point is "get everything clean'.

Other people will chime in here with pointers.

Guest VicRattlehead

thank you much. Ive never pulled a carb apart, everything ive worked on is either fuel injected gas or diesel stuff. me and my digital camera and notebook will pull it apart clean it up and put it back together. should i have any concerns running it through my parts washer? wondering if it might be to harsh on anything.

thanks again.

Excellent material D Yaros. The only thing I would ad is that the best way to check floats IMHO is to fill a clear glass about 3/4 full with water and stick it in the microwave for 40 seconds, then submerse each float in the hot water and look for bubbles. If a float has been compromised you will see bubbles immediately and if there are no bubbles the float is good.

You finally found where the other check ball went which is good. The one under the nozzle keeps air from being pulled into the accelerator pump bowl on the accelerator pump up stroke when the pump bowl is being filled, while the one under the pump seals the bottom of the well on the pump down stroke and this forces all of the fuel through the circuit and into the throttle bore.

Daytona Parts is where I buy my kits also and they produce very good kits in my opinion.

The ones from NAPA are good also.