Strange Coke Drink Cooler?

Guest Big Jake

Guest Big Jake

This is listed on ebay and for the life of me I cannot find out any information on it. In speaking with the seller he stated the instruction explains to tie it into the Vacume line as well as the fuel line.

"According to the directions the unit will connect to the fuel line,the vaccume line. And 30w motor oil is used as well. Confused? me too. I've never seen a unit like this,and as i said before the strato-freeze unit comes with complete instructions.

1950S 1960S RARE" NOS" AUTOMOTIVE REFRIGERATION UNIT!!!: eBay Motors (item 320580452939 end time Aug-30-10 18:20:06 PDT)

Anybody have info on this?

Thanks

Jake2904948690054402330S500x500Q85.jpg

I don't see any place to put the ice, and why would you need a fuel and vacuum line for an ice chest?

I hope I'm wrong, but I think this cooler works by allowing fuel to drip/run/spray on the internal side of the cold container, which is then vacuumed up by the vacuum line. The evaporating gas would then provide the cooling. Hopefully most of the gas is contained and there's a one-way valve for air to enter the system for the vacuum chamber/line. Then the air/fuel mixture is burned off.

Seems like a great way to make your car run too rich and have 55 degree root beer to drink.:P

I wouldn't smoke too close to it, though!

The servicemen, myself included, always cooled the warm German beer by wrapping the bottle in gasoline soaked rags and then blowing the air hose nozzle to evaporate the gas. This was back in the 50's, probably wouldn't be politically correct today. --Bob

I found this website from a few years ago, looks like they were produced for the 50's. i would bet they work on the same principle as an rv fridge.

TheSamba.com :: VW Classifieds - Strata-Freeze VW refrigerator

Mike

A thermal absorption cooling unit would be my guess too. Absorption refrigerator - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia