Sign in to follow this  
wildcat62

Driving a Pre-war across the Country?

I brought my '41 home today...it needs help. By the time I got to the city (about 30 miles in high sixties temperature) the temperature needle was pegged. Of course I had predetermined to run a couple errands which put me coming home in "rush hour" traffic. By the time I got home there was significant steam involved. I know I lost some coolant. Steam appeared to be rising from the oil filler, which put me into a panic...after cooling I checked the oil and it is at good level and appears to be just oil (whew).

There's always something. Aside from dealing with temperature, I do have a couple more things on my list to get done with this car before I would attempt any significant distance.

Sigh.

It's only money....

Mike, We *might* be able to make exceptions for you post war riff-raff I suppose.

Derek, at least your 41 is moving, you have a head start on my plan.

Paul, great signature and I agree with the philosophy.

Those of us who have driven, worked on, crawled under, around, and in our old Buicks will agree that a Buick sure ain't no Model A! Well, about 73 years ago, my family & I drove from Chicago to Key West, Florida (you had to take a ferry to Key West in those days) and back in a 1929 2 door Model A sedan. The roads were one narrow lane in each direction, usually with no shoulder, and, by today's standards, not in very good repair. We stayed in "Tourist Courts (cabins), and forget indoor toilets! The only car trouble we had was a fan belt and several flats. Now that I have a 1931 Buick 4 door touring sedan with a total of 30K miles on it from new (roughly commensurate with the "A" 's mileage at that time), I would not hesitate to make the same trip. I mean it is a Buick, right? It's in good shape, and I would take the appropriate tools & spare parts as has already been said. . . When do we leave? . . . Caravan? . . . Hmmmm . . . . .