Driving a Pre-war across the Country?

Guest wildcat62

Guest wildcat62

OK, well not across the entire country, but about halfway. I'm seriously considering borrowing the old man's 41 Century to drive from Minnesota to the National Meet in Danvers next year.

Now, I won't ask if you think I am nuts...that's been determined:D but, I am wondering for you guys that put serious driving on the pre war cars...what are some of the pros/cons and experiences and advice you have?

And yes Frank, I'm thinking about you too! If you drive the 40 everywhere, shouldn't a car a year newer have no problems?

I keep thinking that it might be a lot of trouble, but it also could be the experience of a lifetime.

Thoughts? Concerns? Straightjacket?

If you have the Buick in good mechanical shape, there should be no problem. I carry some spare parts ( water pump-fuel pump-generator-regulator- belts and hoses ) and some tools. I have traversed the country in old Buicks, and they always got us home under their own power.

I hauled a 1935 house trailer to California from Michigan back in the 70s with my 1932 Buick. ,and have put over 100,000 miles on my 40

Kris,

I'm debating the same thing from the far NW suburbs (about 450 miles) with my '41. Ensuring that everything is good to go, carrying a tune-up kit to have the spare ignition parts, good tires, possibly a portable air tank or power source and 12V compressor, extra fluids, and the BCA roster (i.e. all the things I usually plan to take with me but forget).

Perhaps we could take a route through the U.P. and meet up in Wisconsin somewhere to show the world a pair of '41s. The only thing was trying to plan a route (particularly as one got close) that would try to avoid some of the really busy traffic.

I think Suzanne and the troublemakers would probably wind up flying in due to the length of time the trip would take. The other alternative would be them taking the Rainier, which has OnStar and could double as a trouble vehicle.

I drove all over the US. Little problems sometimes but always locals happy to help...

Take a cel phone,AAA Card, manual. AND don't forget a grease gun and spare oil.

Read the service intervals and please stick to them

I've made trips with a 1939 GMC and 1937 Studebaker President even took the Studebaker to Europe

Just set a pace the car's happy with and enjoy the view. :)

Kris,

Good luck! As you get to the planning, and want some details as to routes through NY, PA and CT and MA, let us know and we will try to answer any questions you may have. And we hope you will consider the Pre-War after tour on the way home.

Maybe we can convince Frank to drive out and meet you along the way, seeing that his actaul trip next year is short of what he normally does.

John

Kris,

I drove from Seattle to Flint in a 1947 Special to attend the 2003 Centennial Meet.

A caravan of some 35 cars was organised by Brian Lawrence ( Centurion ) of the North Cascade Chapter and I have to say it is one of life's highlights for me.

Follow the link and you will be able to read about the experience in an article I wrote for the Australian Club magazine.

http://www.westernbuicks.org/Magazine/Article%20Stuart%20Syme%20Seattle2%20Oct%202003.pdf

Stuart, I have great memories of that journey!

In case anyone misses the fact in your article, one of the cars that was driven all the way from Seattle to Flint was a 1931 Buick 90 series car. The owners of this car probably had the greatest time of all. (The car was also driven back to Seattle.)

I followed the Seattle caravan to Rochester in my modern Chevy PU pulling an empty car trailer. Only one prewar car had problems on the way. The bottom of the fuel pump fell off somewhere in the middle of Montana. A short ride on my trailer got the problem fixed in the hotel parking lot that night and he was on his way again the next morning.

A day later he lost a wheel bearing that could not be found anywhere. So another ride on my trailer got him to Rochester where he got his bearings (pun intended). He drove it all the way back to Seattle without incident.

The message here is as others have mentioned... bring spares that would otherwise be hard to find....

Great story, Stuart.

Did any yanks come to your tour the next year?

Ben

No - not to the following Australian National Meet but have had a few for the last 3 ( we have our National Meet every 2 years ).

Jack Gerstkemper is a regular and tells us he's coming back for the 2012 Meet to be held in Tasmania - I think he's looking for travelling companions!!

Thriller - nothing wrong with those " silver bullits "

Edited by 50jetback (see edit history)

Guest wildcat62

Ben, I used to drive my Wildcat everywhere with no a/c so I figure I can survive summer in the 41. Heck, on the open road the ventilation in most of the Buicks is pretty darn good.

West, true, Pop used to haul us kids around in the 47 Packard everywhere. And yep, Fred's my dad, although he has friends that asked him if I was his granddaughter so I happily cultivate that. :) I keep forgetting that some of you Petersons are out of Minnesota but I'll make sure to tell him hello, and I know he'd hi ya right back.

Joe and RU22, thanks for the advice, I have a small but growing list of extras to bring if we decide to take it. It's good to hear from the guys that do it regularly.

Derek, hmmm....sounds like we may be dangerously close to hatching up a scheme.;) The only thing more fun than taking one 41 is taking two. We'll have to make sure that the redheaded stepchild gets a passport before we go, but I'd love to go thru Canada on the way out.

John, I'll keep that in mind for route ideas, and I'd love to go on a Pre-war or BDE after tour, but it'll be a while yet before I build up enough vacation at work to take two weeks off in a row. And your comment about Frank made me laugh. :D

Stuart, thanks so much for sharing the story, the only thing I'd love even more than an aftertour after a National would be going to Oz for a Buick National.

Mark, I know it's not the firetruck I wanted, but I still think it would be a lot of fun to take the Century. Thanks always for your encouragement.

Thanks everyone for the input, I appreciate it!

Edited by wildcat62
cuz I wanted to (see edit history)

Derek, hmmm....sounds like we may be dangerously close to hatching up a scheme.;) The only thing more fun than taking one 41 is taking two. We'll have to make sure that the redheaded stepchild gets a passport before we go, but I'd love to go thru Canada on the way out.

You mean the Windsor / Sarnia - St. Catharines stretch? I have a brother about smack dab in the middle of that in Guelph. That could work, although some of the driving there would be pretty crazy as well. It would save distance, but adding two border crossings, it may actually be slower. It does get one dangerously close to sites like Niagara falls too...not to mention wine country...hmmm...now you have me thinking. I wouldn't recommend going north of Lake Huron - it's a bit desolate, particularly for cars that are only going to get 10-12 mpg.

That being said, using Google Maps to set out a route avoiding highways from St. Paul gives about 33 hours of travel time. That would be a long three days. Four may even be a bit of a stretch. Based on your holiday comment, if you only had a week, it would be tough to get there, take in any of the meet, and get back within that time frame, unless all you wanted to do was drive. There's not necessarily anything wrong with that, but I'm just mentioning it.

I have not yet submitted this idea for approval yet. I did have the '41's battery on the charger for a bit today...when I get back out there I hope to get it on long enough to get the car running for the first time this summer and have some fun with it, maybe even tidy up some loose ends on it.

Stuart,

I have already sent an email to Dave Chaffe for the latest info. I will be getting with Jack soon to discuss joint plans to come down-under for my first time.

Mark,

I was just speaking with Dave Chaffey and he has been having computer problems but he will get back to you when it is fixed.

As for the Tasmania Nationals in 2012..............you'll really enjoy the trip I can guarantee it.

We did it in 2002 and people still talk about it.

Tassie is perfect for touring and I'm sure there will be plenty of spare seats in Buicks for visitors from O/Seas and a few opportunities to lean to drive on the CORRECT SIDE of the road :D:D

Guest wildcat62

Derek, I'm guessing I can stick a few days on each end of the week. We'll have to see for sure after I submit vacation what I can get. Too many things to do in such a short time. As far as driving, we don't have to avoid highway routes. I know those cars can get out and run.

Definately thinking about driving it instead of coming modern or semi-modern as it may be. Although it means moving one of my cars up to the pole barn and Pop's 41 into my shop for the winter to do some work. Maybe you can float the idea past SWMBO and we can put together a tentative scheme. I know I have plenty of backups, but this would be a fun plan. I guess ultimately it will hinge on how much time off and if any major unforeseen issues crop up in the Century.

Guest wildcat62

Bill, of course you can. As long as you don't bring along any other of them Texan riff-raff.;)

Derek.....convoy! :P

I think the plan has been hatched.

Do it, the experience of a lifetime is the fun of antique cars. All the other posters have

done it and don't regret it, just prepare and do it!

I did the 1984 Great American Race (3000 miles) and loved it so much I did it 10 more times, (50,000 miles)

Don't spend a second thinking "I shoud have", just do it.

The cemetarys are are full of Eleanor Rigbey people who didn't do anything fun. My vote is if you like old cars, go for the adventure.

I brought my '41 home today...it needs help. By the time I got to the city (about 30 miles in high sixties temperature) the temperature needle was pegged. Of course I had predetermined to run a couple errands which put me coming home in "rush hour" traffic. By the time I got home there was significant steam involved. I know I lost some coolant. Steam appeared to be rising from the oil filler, which put me into a panic...after cooling I checked the oil and it is at good level and appears to be just oil (whew).

There's always something. Aside from dealing with temperature, I do have a couple more things on my list to get done with this car before I would attempt any significant distance.

Sigh.

It's only money....

Guest wildcat62

Mike, We *might* be able to make exceptions for you post war riff-raff I suppose.

Derek, at least your 41 is moving, you have a head start on my plan.

Paul, great signature and I agree with the philosophy.

Those of us who have driven, worked on, crawled under, around, and in our old Buicks will agree that a Buick sure ain't no Model A! Well, about 73 years ago, my family & I drove from Chicago to Key West, Florida (you had to take a ferry to Key West in those days) and back in a 1929 2 door Model A sedan. The roads were one narrow lane in each direction, usually with no shoulder, and, by today's standards, not in very good repair. We stayed in "Tourist Courts (cabins), and forget indoor toilets! The only car trouble we had was a fan belt and several flats. Now that I have a 1931 Buick 4 door touring sedan with a total of 30K miles on it from new (roughly commensurate with the "A" 's mileage at that time), I would not hesitate to make the same trip. I mean it is a Buick, right? It's in good shape, and I would take the appropriate tools & spare parts as has already been said. . . When do we leave? . . . Caravan? . . . Hmmmm . . . . .