1941 Buick Super 8 Convertible Vacuum Antenna

Guest LarryB

Guest LarryB

Does anyone have documentation on the vacuum antennas that came in the 1941 Buick Super Convertibles? It won't go up, and will only go down from about 1/2 way. I just got the vehicle and spent the weekend getting the wipers working. Now onto the antenna.

Hi Larry,

For my 1941, I replaced the original piston with a new one with an o-ring seal (I have extra o-rings and a drawing of the piston if that helps you). The antenna works fine now. I was lucky, as the upper seal was fine. Now that it functions properly, I am having the original three section mast replated. I have not found any replacement masts that are as long as the original, which is about six feet long when fully extended. Make sure that your mast is perfectly true. Klaus Wojak rebuilds vacuum antennas, but I wanted to try it myself.

Grandpa

post-52807-143138285387_thumb.jpg

Hi Larry,

I have a question for you: The phenolic guide / insulator on the chrome top-side nut on my 1941 is damaged (see the attached image) and needs ro be replaced. Please let me know how far above the top surface of the nut does the phenolic guide extends on your antenna? A picture would be helpful.

Thanks,

Grandpa

post-52807-14313828539_thumb.jpg

• 6 months later...
Guest 1941Buick56C
Hi Larry,

For my 1941, I replaced the original piston with a new one with an o-ring seal (I have extra o-rings and a drawing of the piston if that helps you). The antenna works fine now. I was lucky, as the upper seal was fine. Now that it functions properly, I am having the original three section mast replated. I have not found any replacement masts that are as long as the original, which is about six feet long when fully extended. Make sure that your mast is perfectly true. Klaus Wojak rebuilds vacuum antennas, but I wanted to try it myself.

Grandpa

Grandpa,

May I ask where you found the replacement piston and o-rings?

Thanks,

JC