I finally lowered my Riv

They claim the springs to be 30 percent stiffer. It is a little stiffer ride. But ALOT better than I expected. And I don't bottom out as much as I thought. Just over RR tracks or rough parking lot entrances. Going to the exhaust shop today to cure part of that problem.

I can offer a little Jamco info here. They sell stock length shocks that they say have been re-valved. BUT, they are still riding close to bottom.

Jamco makes a great spring and the car rides great, but I don't waste my money on their shocks.

I backed into different applications and am now experimenting with a new front shock that will put it in the middle of it's throw instead of the bottom.

Did you have to use drop shocks or shorter bump stops?

I used the old shocks on the rear. They are a coil over shock and hold the ass end up a little. That is why it has a little rake look (atleast it does to me). The front are stock length for a '59 Impala. No parts stores in my area stocked Riv shocks. But Oreilly's had some for an Impala. So I had to put the bottom mount from my Riv shock in the Impala shock. They ride fine. I trimmed the old bump stops. I really don't know if was needed. But while they were off I knocked a little off.

• 3 months later...
I can offer a little Jamco info here. They sell stock length shocks that they say have been re-valved. BUT, they are still riding close to bottom.

Jamco makes a great spring and the car rides great, but I don't waste my money on their shocks.

I backed into different applications and am now experimenting with a new front shock that will put it in the middle of it's throw instead of the bottom.

hey david, Nick here. Did you find a suitable shock for the lowering springs? I'm ready to buy myself a kit for X-nas and i'd like to lose 3 inches and not bottom out the shocks.

Thanks !

Nick,

I know that the jobbers in your neighborhood have books to back up their computer listings. The books cover everything, not just the most popular items. In each manufacturers shock book, there are illustrations of every shock the make that show the extended lenghts and the compressed lengths of the shocks as well has the type of upper and lower mounts and the I.D. of the bushings used. Take some measurements from your car and find a friendly jobber that will let you do some research for what you need.

I remember 25 + years ago, there was a short article in the Riview that said that Dodge D-150 front shocks worked for the front of the 1st generation Rivieras (before Monroe came out with a specific shock.) There's something out there, research it.

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
Use Jamco Suspension - Jamco Suspension, Your #1 Source for Hot Rod Brakes and Suspension!. The have a 63-70 Riviera lowering kit on sale now for $409.95...just saw it on the front page of their website.

i cut one coil from the front and used coil clamps for the rear cost 10 bucks for the clamps and 2 bucks for the cutting wheel. 400 bucks seems like alote of money to lower a car for me

post-68132-143138379211_thumb.jpg

:cool:I have a brand new 3 inch Jamco setup for sale if anybody is interested . 0 miles on any of it ,shocks were never installed , coils were in chassis for about a year for a mock up but never left the garage . $ 295.00 plus shipping . I ended up bagging the car ...Send me a PM

:cool:I have a brand new 3 inch Jamco setup for sale if anybody is interested . 0 miles on any of it ,shocks were never installed , coils were in chassis for about a year for a mock up but never left the garage . $ 295.00 plus shipping . I ended up bagging the car ...Send me a PM

You have a PM , sir !!

• 4 weeks later...
I know alot of you guys like them bone stock. But let me know what you think.

What I'm finding is I like them standing normal for the dark colors and lowered a little for the lighter colors.

That color is just gorgeous. If the Riv I end up with needs paint and for some reason I don't want to go stock, a color like that is where I will end up if I don't go Black or Verde Green.

Looks good.

-BEPNewt