Anti Freeze Leak

Guest sconnors

Guest sconnors

Discovered after my 1950 Buick Special is parked for awhile I notice a puddle of anti freeze under the car. It appears to be in the area of the transmission and although it doesn't seem to be leaking badly I want to fix it. The car is not overheating and doesn't seem to be going through a lot of anti freeze but there is definitely a leak.

I'm thinking it's either a freeze plug, or the hoses that run from the radiator to the transmission.

Anyone have the same issue or can point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Scott

I would put and small pan under the transmission cooler and see if you get antifreexe in the pan. Most of the freexe plugs are in the open and easy to see, so are they showing signs of leakage ? You can always go to your local auto supply store and get a radiator leak tester, it will pressurixe your system and they you can find the leak while it is cool.

Hello Bill: The issue of where a leak actually originates is a problem. The drip is often far from where the leak occurs. This is especially true when the car has been driven as the air movement under the car and through the engine compartment moves the fluid far from the point of origin. You simply need to examine every possible source not matter how far away or improbable. I once had a slow leak and slowly isolated it and located the hose/clamp by tying a rag around the hose to leave a trace of the leaking fluid. Otherwise, the leak was slow and dried where the leak occurred so as to make it difficult to find. The leak will almost always stop at some point as the pressure in the cooling system is dissipated. It may be days between your being able to examine the problem and the evidence of the actual source of the leak will evaporate/disappear before you note it. Just be persistent:). Good Luck and post your final results. Patrick W. Brooks