Gas pedal started switch question

our51super

Greetings,<BR>I have a 1951 Buick Super and ever since I replaced the original carpet (which had more padding hence thicker) I seem to have trouble starting the car. The problem is that when I depress the gas pedal to the floor it now has more travel and opens the choke. So I have to be real careful when I pump the gas so as not to disengage the choke. Is there a way to adjust the linkage for the starter switch to account for the thinner carpeting?<BR>Thanks to all.

I cant understand why a dozen persons have not replied! First of all,when your car is cold,the choke will be held open until you touch the accelerator.When you first nudge the accellerator,the choke will snap shut.a little further and your starter switch will engage,and shortly thereafter,the throttle positioning linkage will engage.This positions the throttle at its best starting position,A little more movement will only result in a slight spring resistance,the throttle still being held by the positioning mechanism.If the car does not start in a reasonable time,you may have flooded it.You simply push the throttle clear to the floor and that engages the "unloader"which opens the choke and "Happy Motoring"

• 2 weeks later...

I guess what actually happens is that the starter engages right at the same time as the unloader so I wind up starting the car with no choke. I can leave the key ON and get under the hood and actually hold the chock closed while I engage the throttle and that's how I usually get it started. Just wondering if there is an adjustment to engage the starter a little before the unloader kicks in.<P>Thank you,