How many left on the road?

Guest lordfeyr

Guest lordfeyr

I was googling the internet for information on some ideas I have for my 57 buick special when I came across a for sale ad where the owner stated that thre are only 220 of these cars left on the road...

That sounds crazy to me as I would expec there to be more than that. But I cannot find any information to confirm or deny their statement.

Any ideas on where I could find this information?

The best anyone can do is guess what's left. We've seen that type of thing here before, but truth is, no one really knows. You'd have to get the information from all the different State DMV's and I'm pretty sure NY state would not give that up easily. Can't speak for the others.

Meanwhile I agree with you. 220 for 57's is a low number. But I would agree with the seller. that 57's are somewhat rare. And also highly desireable.

Guest lordfeyr

I think I saw something like there were 64,000 2dr ht specials produced in 57. For there to only be 200~ definitely sounds like a bit of a stretch.

Im half tempted on contacting the guy just to see how he came up with those numbers.

Then again that number does not reflect all the non registered cars sitting in barns, garages etc....

Guest DaveCorbin

To All of us here on the Forum:

My years of research into serial numbers indicate that survival rates run between 1% to 4% for most cars and vary by model within year. If the car is a convertible sedan, a rate of around 10% maximum usually works. Plain Janes (because they become parts cars), and trucks (got worked to death) can run below 1%.

Regards, Dave Corbin

Let us know what you find out, please.

There might be some other significant factors in the low number. Color, body style, interior trim, options, and combinations there-of . . . all things that nobody really cared about back then, but collectors/enthusiasts started to key on in the last 20 years or so . . . all in the orientation of increased collectible value. Of course, there would need to be documentation to support these things too.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467