Some Good News for Buick

Guest BJM

NPR Marketplace just reported that Buick sales are up 60% from last year and the average age of a Buick owner has decreased from 64 to 61.

This must mean there has been an impact from the LaCrosse and SUV and the Regal can only help.

Edited by BJM (see edit history)

Guest my3buicks

That is good news!! I was thrilled to see a new Regal on the road Sunday (had looked at them on the lot, this was the first I had seen on the road) but was mortified to see an 80 year old driving it. Nothing against mature drivers, just not the demographic Buick was hoping for with the Regal. I guess it was a sale regardless of the age.

The Buick dealer near me was one that GM was NOT sending cars to and they filled their showroom with their "classics". They had a sign that they had been approved for new car sales for Buick-GMC. I will look at the new stuff in about 2 years but would not mind getting an off-new LuCerne when they are done.

Or the Regal "crossover" wagon if it comes out (new)

...and that's a 5% reduction in average owner age so I guess that looks better. Buicks may never be owned by 20 somethings due to income to new cost ratio. I could barely afford one now at 46. But I think Buick aiming at Lexus is a smart thing and I think they are starting to be regarded as "chic" to own instead of an old persons car.

And finally, the restriction in the makes - GM and Mercury, and others - means fewer options. There seems to be a getting away from SUV trend back to either crossovers or true nicely equipped sedans.

Now, I think Buick needs to continue to innovate with drivetrains meaning hybrids.

Edited by BJM (see edit history)

When (not IF) gas goes up, all brands will wish they had hybrids.

And, they are going to have to be competitive in the market. When Ford did theirs, they virtually never did any rebates or dealer discounts. And then, of course, the dealers won't order them because they don't sell!