Sad painfull day, 1995

Guest Richard D

Guest Richard D

This is how my first 90 Reatta (bought new) protected me after getting hit on the drivers side front fender then sent into a square concrete pole at 50 MPH. The door still worked, my damage was from the shoulder belt fractured my sternum and brusing my heart and lung. Notice that the windshield did not crack although the floor was pushed up to the back of the brake pedal and dashboard split down the middle. I was told by fire rescue that most driver's side wrecks like that result in death or being paralyzed. Of course the other driver had no licence, insurance or citizenship card. Open bottle of vodka found in his car.

post-61268-143138278136_thumb.jpg

post-61268-143138278138_thumb.jpg

Edited by Richard D (see edit history)

You are one luck man! That is one nasty accident, and a real good thing you were in your Reatta! These rascals are great cars in so many ways. I've read

other reports here on the forum about people "walking away" from accidents

that would have been seriously hurt if they were in another vehicle. Glad you

in good shape, and have another Reatta to love!

Guest Richard D

The passenger "safety cell" was not intruded on, no broken glass and both doors and trunk worked (manually, the battery was crushed) A friend crawled in through the pass through. I had my Scale RC P-51 Mustang that I spent 6 months building with retracts and navigation lights. It turned into toothpicks. But the cars structure sure did it's job!

This is how my first 90 Reatta (bought new) protected me after getting hit on the drivers side front fender then sent into a square concrete pole at 50 MPH. The door still worked, my damage was from the shoulder belt fractured my sternum and brusing my heart and lung. Notice that the windshield did not crack although the floor was pushed up to the back of the brake pedal and dashboard split down the middle. I was told by fire rescue that most driver's side wrecks like that result in death or being paralyzed. Of course the other driver had no licence, insurance or citizenship card. Open bottle of vodka found in his car.

Ain't it great living in South Florida. And it gets worse every day.

Guest Richard D

I was born here, and believe it or not still like living here. The other driver did have a revoked licence and was 20 years old, never showed up in court. I think his parents put their house up for his bail, bad move. My insurance paid for my medical $12,000 + and gave me $19,050 for the car and let me keep it. I sold it with a clear title to a body shop for $1,000. This was before Florida had salvage titles. Car was not repaired, it was used for parts.

Edited by Richard D (see edit history)