Monterey Anti Pebble Beach Car Show Winners

Ovalrace25

This year I blew off the Pebble Beach Concours and drove up the road a few miles to the Concours d'Lemons Car Show... I was invited to bring a couple of my Trabants to show the others how a really horrible car can be produced in mass numbers. The Trabant was very unique in the fact that owners LOVED their Trabi and were greatfull to own them.... I won first in class... The Trabant was considered for the "Most Dangerous Car" award, but missed out to a 400H.P. VW bug.

One of the other intersting cars was the VW Bear Bus.. A 59 VW bus that had been used to store grain out on a ranch in Wyoming after a rod knock back in 1980 took it out of service... At some time a bear got inside and began eating the stored grain and also taste tested some of the seats. However, the bear somehow got trapped inside the bus and died...... A few years ago, the bus was opened up and the remains of the bear had decomposed and rotted out the floor of the bus... The remains were removed (after photos taken) and the bus was, uh, cleaned up, some plates were added to the body sections and the engine repaired and then it was presented at the show, COMPLETE with a few of the remaining vertebre from the bear hanging from the rear view mirror....

You just can beat the stories that go with some cars like this one shown at the Concours d'Lemons.

post-46235-143138278122_thumb.jpg

post-46235-143138278127_thumb.jpg

No Jay Leno, but the guy that does that TV show about buying cars and sending them to auction was there... He seemed to be outta place, strutting around like he was one of the Big Dogs that you see at up-scale events like Pebble..........

This show is way---- laid back, low key, do what you like park somewhere close to the others in your class, but dont get to crazy about any of it....

A Bribe to the judges is welcomed... We had Pork Rhines and 2-Buck Chuck to offer.. I heard there were some Two Dollar Bills being offered as well..

No Jay Leno, but the guy that does that TV show about buying cars and sending them to auction was there... He seemed to be outta place, strutting around like he was one of the Big Dogs that you see at up-scale events like Pebble..........

This show is way---- laid back, low key, do what you like park somewhere close to the others in your class, but dont get to crazy about any of it....

A Bribe to the judges is welcomed... We had Pork Rhines and 2-Buck Chuck to offer.. I heard there were some Two Dollar Bills being offered as well..

Personally I think Leno missed the boat. How totally cool if he would have snubbed the upper crust and come to hang with " da guys ". Maybe next year............Bob

We did have a Bentley Mulssane show up for a while... They guy said he thought he was at the wrong show.. The MC that was interviewing him told him to bring it back in 10 years and he would be at the right place then......... After all the depriciation that occurs with these cars, I think the MC was very spot on!!

The driver said he best get out of there before his boss or anyone from Bentley found out he was there.....

I missed the show this year since I stayed home and worked on my Rambler American. Last year I took my 77 Gremlin and it was the only car on the exlcusive "show field" in the meadow next to El Toro Park. I had a great time and I'm pleased that you enjoyed it this year. Next year maybe I'll take my Pacer.

I am thinking about what to take next year.. The Facel Vega Excelence that has the patinia of a dry lake bed and leather interior as hard and crunchy as peanut brittle. Or my OTHER Trabant that is day-glow pink with hot pink interior, or what... SO MANY Great Cars....