Late Model Suburbans?

msmazcol

In the early thought faze of replacing my Wife's 93 Suburban. Does anyone own a 2007 or newer Suburban? Are you happy with it? Won't ever buy another one cause you hate it so bad? Just looking for some input from owners.

It will not be my primary tow vehicle but will be sure it at least has the tow package.

Thanks for the 2 cents.

Guest DagoRed
In the early thought faze of replacing my Wife's 93 Suburban. Does anyone own a 2007 or newer Suburban? Are you happy with it? Won't ever buy another one cause you hate it so bad? Just looking for some input from owners.

It will not be my primary tow vehicle but will be sure it at least has the tow package.

Thanks for the 2 cents.

I have owned this '03 Yukon XL since new. Configuration: 1/2 ton SLT with the 285 HP, 5.3 (327 to us that can remember..) small block, 4spd. auto, tow package. It will rank up there at the top of new cars I have owned that were screwed together right and remained so over the years. I've really only had one problem with it and GM fixed it both times (steering coupler began to rattle). The paint, fit and finish are top notch and compares most favorably with any vehicle its age. Now I know why they became known as 'Texas Limousines' - the dual A/C was and is the best in the industry. If you can locate one with the 4 captain chair seating - you and your passengers will be in high cotton. It tows my 7,000# boat occasional short distances OK, but you have to be realistic about putting a half-ton anything to this task for long distance towing with that kind of weight - thats why they make Ford Super Duty diesels. This Yukon XL replaced a V-10 Excursion that all of us hated eventually in its 3 years in the 'fleet'. My wife gave up driving the Excursion early on (The Beast) but gladly drives the Yukon and loves it.

I recently spoke to an owner of a large GM dealership that handles the entire line. He told me the hottest vehicle in GM's lineup this summer for him was the Suburban/Yukon. Now that is 'change' I can believe in....!!

post-53174-143138278262_thumb.jpg

Edited by DagoRed (see edit history)

The competition between Chevy, Ford and Ram (formerly Dodge Ram) is such that all three companies are building EXTREMELY good trucks and SUVs.

The horrible rust problems of the 80's Chevy/GMC models are ancient history. They last and last and last. I know of several examples of these trucks and SUVs here in Texas that already have more than 200,000 miles. Some already have 300,000 miles and going strong.

Joe

Mark, I have a 2008 Yukon XL 3/4 ton....not only do I love it for towing and all the other stuff it practically saved my life this weekend. On a rainy day with enclosed trailer/antique car behind me came upon a sudden gapers block. The brakes worked really well and the only thing I needed to do was change my underwear!

Have had virtually no problems in 45,000 miles. Only dislike is the seat confuration as my old suburban had seats that folded pretty flat and I had more cargo carrying without having to remove the third seats.

Two thumbs up, for me there is nothing else (OK one of those big custom Freightliner's would be nice!)

Thanks everyone for the replies. I have been using my 2000 GMC Sierra 3/4 ton, 6.0 to tow our trailer. We have been very satisfied. Our 1993 Suburban has been a great warrior too. We just don't want to push the truck Gods too much and expect it to go forever.

Thanks Steve for the report. I know sometimes when a body change takes place like the 2007 Suburban they can become a completely different creature. Sounds like good ole' GM is still doing their best to supply a great truck.

Now maybe we'll start to look. No cross dressers (overs), or mini SUV's for us!

Long live generous motors.

Guest DagoRed
Are there a larger then 5.3 engine available.???????

Here are the current larger engine offerings:

There is a 352HP 6.0 Litre and a 395HP 6.2 Litre available in the 3/4 ton models.

There is even a Hybrid model available.

Quite the vehicles, in my opinion.

We can't all fit into Smart cars or haul/move our items with the latest Kia offerings. Hauling pound for pound and per passenger MPG, the Yukon and Suburban compare pretty favorably to using 2 or 3 rice burners to do the same job and arrive at the same time. Oops, forgot to mention that the venerable Yukon/Suburban can tow significant weights safely and competantly while most Asian 'SUV's' are limited to a few bumper stickers....

I hope GM keeps the faith and makes these outstanding vehicles forever and how about a diesel version next!

DegoRed is right.

We too use a 2004 Yukon SLT with the 5.3. Love it, with 112,000 miles and plan on keeping it to 250,000. Tows anything! Rides like a Cadillac. After two

Silverado's I'll not do the pickup route again, the Yukon is the one.

If you want more power, the Cadillac Escalade is the same SUV with a 6.0 V8 that looses MPG for the extra power. Not a good trade off in my opinion.

The 2007 body style change is still a good choice, of basically the same vehicle, but gets better MPG.

The only drawback that I see with the Suburban type vehicles is the price. My last pickup cost me $22,000. I just can not force myself to spend $40-50,000 for a vehicle, when my wife and I drive so little, other than the meets and tours. My first new brick home only cost me $18,000. It's like I have traveled through a time warp! :confused::(

I guess the answer is to buy a used model, which is probably what I will do, if the notion ever hits me.;)

Wayne

When we sold, (traded) our 93 Suburban, it had 212,000 miles on it and was still a strong runner and a great looking family car. Replaced the starter, alternator, and a rear end wheel bearing. All work and maintenance done by me.

The day after the trade we had second thoughts about trading it and when I went back to the dealership to buy it back it was gone. Oh well. It would have made a great beat around and tow vehicle.

We now have an "07 Tahoe LTX, that is my wife's car and other than being a big wide vehicle we love it.

Great vehicle on trips. 77,000 miles and not a problem.

Bill H

The only drawback that I see with the Suburban type vehicles is the price. My last pickup cost me $22,000. I just can not force myself to spend $40-50,000 for a vehicle, when my wife and I drive so little, other than the meets and tours. My first new brick home only cost me $18,000. It's like I have traveled through a time warp! :confused::(

I guess the answer is to buy a used model, which is probably what I will do, if the notion ever hits me.;)

Wayne

Wayne, did Earl peddle his Suburban off??

Knowing how Earl's doesn't see the snow, and has a lot of highway miles, if someone wanted a good used Suburban, that would be a good one to get. Besides, if that Suburban of his can haul a Buick, it can tow anything.:eek::eek::D:D:D

I have a 2000 "New Tahoe" with 80,000 miles, bought it used about 5 years ago... it's been great. Am considering the purchase of a new one only because this one is now ten years old and also because I can swing it! Some of the early 5.3s had some piston slap, Chevrolet said/says this is not a problem. Mine has it and it's pretty noisy for about the first minute and then quiets right down. It can be pretty unnerving, though, and the noise is actually louder inside the vehicle than out. I've never had to add oil between changes, and a buddy of mine used it to tow an aluminum car trailer and '36 Ford on a 350-mile trip and got 14 or 15 mpg.

Another nice thing about them is that even the base model is well-equipped - I can't see the point in adding anything except the trailering option. The big thing that pees me off about getting a new one is that you have to pay $395 extra if you want a red one. (That's the kind of nonsense from GM that really angers me. baah.) The other thing that aggravates me is the "option package" stuff and the fact that you have to take the aluminum wheels even on the base vehicle. I'd just as soon have steel wheels and pay $600 less.

(Sorry about the kvetching, and thanks for the bandwidth... having a bit of a bad day!)

Doug, I had a fellow recently ask me what dealer I brought my pu from, because it had an interesting paint scheme.

I explained to him that it's easy to buy a plain white vehicle and have it colorized wherever you like it, whatever color you want, and support the local body shops and graphics guys. The big plus is that you'll never pull up to a stop light with another vehicle that looks like yours.:)

We went by our local Chevy dealer 3 times this weekend. Every vehicle is either grey, black, white, and maybe two burgundy colored vehicle. Almost all were trucks. The place looked like a funeral home!

When will these design guys wake up. Is a Challenger-Camaro-Corvette the only vehicles that deserve pretty paint jobs???:confused::(

Wayne

Funny you mention it Wayne, last night I was looking on the Chevrolet website at some of the other trucks / SUVs out of curiosity... near as I could tell, there is no blue color offered on the Suburban... neighbor is a fleet manager for VerIzon and he says that the vans only come in about 3 colors unless you pay extra... I was trying to confirm that one but the website was acting up and I couldn't navigate it.

I want a red one badly enough that I'd pay the extra for it, but it damn well galls me that I have to pay extra for that on a $40,000 vehicle! For all the good it'll do, I'll lambast the salesman about that, but then I'm angry at myself for encouraging them by signing up for it! What's to do...

Post a picture of your truck!

I am very unhappy with my 2007 Suburban. Gas mileage is atrocious. The computer went out at 19,000 on the Texas trip and we limped home. They put a new computer in it and poor gas mileage got worse. They say there is nothing wrong with it at the local Chevrolet dealership. I got 7.4 going to Louisville and 6.9 coming back. It now has 23,000 miles on it. I was going to trade it on a new six speed Chevrolet pickup, but I just didn't want a pickup and I didn't want to blow the $12,000 difference for a 2010 end of year model. So, I didn't do anything.

Following this thread very closely as my wife wants to go back to an SUV after driving an A-4 for about a year. We will probably do this when our Explorer begins to need constant repair, but honestly that just does not seem to be happening. Looking at Yukons as well as Tahoes, as shorter wheelbase will probably work for us.

So sometime next year, I will be getting a slighly used A-4...

• 2 weeks later...

The Big SUV's death rattle- Yahoo! Autos Article Page

As manufacturers discontinue old-style SUVs, they're moving their nameplates to crossovers. The next Chevy Tahoe is going to be built on the Traverse crossover platform, not the Silverado truck platform. And the 2011 Ford Explorer moves from the Ranger truck platform to the Taurus car platform. Equipped with Ford's turbocharged four-cylinder engine, it is expected to get 30% better fuel economy -- 19 miles per gallon city versus 13 mpg for the V-6 equipped 2010 model.

It looks like in the very near future that if you want a truck you're going to have to buy a truck.

As a private vehicle the Suburban is in real trouble. It's sales have fallen by 50% in 3 years (as of 2009), and that's been before the new C.A.F.E. requirements really begin to kick in. As that happens in the next 5 years, and G.M. has to maintain a 30 mpg average for it's line of light trucks, their going to dolling these things out like White House dinner invitations..., rare and expensive. They'll never go away, the Federal government alone needs enough of them to justify some production. However the idea of using one as a private car will be on par with using a London taxi in very short order.

Sales of big SUVs are up this year, but there's a good reason why. For most of us, this is our last chance to get one.

Dave, I have heard the same. Amazingly, the two Explorers in our family fleet are still worth a couple bucks despite well over 120K miles each. I heard this may be due to increased demand, who knows. Assuming the boy's survives sr. year at college, we will be doing a shuffle and they will help fund probably the last "real" SUV, which despite their controversy - seem to fit our needs perfectly. Well, all the red one hauls these days is kegs of beer as I understand it....

It is certainly the time to pick up a towing truck as demand is low for the big trucks. I decided that the antique cars needed an enclosed trailer for travel, so picked up a 2003 Suburban LT (2500) with all the options for $11,000. New, the cost was almost $50K. So for me it was a great deal. Now the hunt is on for an enclosed trailer.

i'm gonna put a new engine (well.. maybe a low mileage.. or rebuild) in my '73 suburban... been a darn good car with about 300,000 hard miles on it... 13mpg.. (would like to improve THAT!):o btw.. how's it that i'm a 'senior' member at this point?? seems that i should put a lot more time.. or miles.. or posts before being given that distinction (that word looks mispelled..sorry). maybe 500 posts should be considered for the 'senior' honor. thank you.:)

Edited by mrspeedyt (see edit history)

• 1 year later...

well... i have bought two fuel injected suburbans lately... first one is a '89 2wd 1/2 ton with a 350 and 700r4 that runs good for $1600. 115000 miles on it and rust free! then this weekend i stumbled a '91 2wd 3/4 ton with a great running 454, 700r4 (i guess) 215000 miles for $1000. and has a reciever hitch and brake controller for $1000. both so-cal owned since new. the second one should make a good tow vehicle for my purposes.

I have a 1996 3/4 ton with the 454 engine, and love it, it now has 160K miles on it and still pulls and rides great, burns no oil, and gets the same awful gas mileage it did when new.

Two things that I haven't seen discussed, and that's where you're towing and what you're towing.

If you live in the flatlands, and that's where most of your towing is taking place, the smaller engines may be fine. Or, if you're towing a light car on an open trailer, the small engine might be fine.

In hilly country, with a heavy car, in an enclosed trailer, the smaller engines will struggle somewhat going up hills.

GM quit putting the 454, or 8.1L, in Suburbans in 2006. I know all the arguments about the small engines having high horsepower and that theme, but reality is you need the big block for serious towing. This is not just a "guess" on my part, I've been looking at used Surburbans, and even taken a couple home and hooked them up to my trailer, with car inside (example, 24 foot enclosed trailer with a 5600 pound car in it), and the first hill you come to you notice the huge difference in pulling power.

Diesel is an option, and a lot of people love them, I'm not a fan. I've been told over and over, though, that for serious towing Diesel is the way to go.

So figure out what your needs are, but if you want a gas engined Suburban/Yukon for heavy towing, you are pretty much limited to 1996 (first year fuel injection for this big block) to 2006, 454/8.1, and preferably the 3/4 ton.

I'm still running a 1990. 1500, 4WD, 350, 4 speed automatic. Got it off of eBay about 4 or 5 years ago for one easy payment of $899. At that time it had just 45,000 original miles. Has just 71,900 on it now. The problem here in the Great North East is the rust. The drive train will far outlast the creaping rust. Dandy Dave!

I have 2005 Silverado LS conventional cab long box with a 5.3. I bought it new in January '05 planning to trade it at about 40,000 miles. I still have it at 124,000. I have not been able to find a better value. From the cab corners forward I figure it is pretty similar to a Suburban.

My truck is a 2 WD and gets a consistent 20 MPG.

I just bought a '94 Impala SS for a "family" car. If I was going to buy a Suburban I would ponder this string of messages for a while and probably remember my Maytag drier purchase.

Around 1993 the GE electric drier that I had been fixing for years finally bit the dust. I remember it well. It had a flexible strip of plastic for a center bearing. It had a heater shield that was hell to line up behind the drum. There were lot of reasons not to replace it with another of its design.

When I went shopping for a new one I noticed the Magtag was possible 20 pounds heavier, and much more expensive. I shopped a little more and found an appliance store that had one with the front cover off. I looked inside and saw how much easier everything was to service than the old GE. I thought "What a great piece of equipment to repair!" And how durable!

My next thought was "Why buy a new one if a used one would be so easy to fix and what could go wrong?"

I went shopping on the old Swap Sheet and found one for $50. We tossed it out about 3 years ago. It wasn't shot, we just moved the laundry from the cellar to a new room upstairs. What a deal.

I think I would be looking for a used Suburban with around 50,000 miles on it based on my experience and these comments. Like the drier, if they are that good, who needs a new one?

Bernie

...i stumbled a '91 2wd 3/4 ton with a great running 454, 700r4 (i guess) ...

Actually, that's a 4L80E. 1991 was the first year for the 4L80E and the only year that it was installed in the 1973-91 body style. The 700R4/4L60 wouldn't last behind a 454.

I think I would be looking for a used Suburban with around 50,000 miles on it based on my experience and these comments. Like the drier, if they are that good, who needs a new one?

Bernie

I don't think I will EVER buy another vehicle with just 50,000 miles on it. That is the point where things start needing to be replaced, or the time where things start going awry, and the point where the warranty is gone. I have had better luck buying vehicles with 100,000 miles on them, but only purchasing from the first owner who has meticulously maintained it. At the 100K point, with a meticulous owner, everything has been replaced or fixed properly.

We just purchased a 1993 Suburban 3/4-ton with 454 and 123,000 miles. One-owner vehicle that is immaculate and can hardly be told from new. New tires, new trailer hitch, towing package, etc.

Edited by West Peterson (see edit history)

Actually, that's a 4L80E. 1991 was the first year for the 4L80E and the only year that it was installed in the 1973-91 body style. The 700R4/4L60 wouldn't last behind a 454.

thanks for that info! i've heard the 4L80E is better.:) that blue sub (above) is old enough for historical plates in arizona. besides the two suburbans ('89 and '91) that i recently bought i still have a '73 4x4 1/2 ton with the grany gear transmission.

Edited by mrspeedyt (see edit history)

One thing y'all have talked about is engine size, but NOT rear axle ratios! NOR the fact that there are TWO 3/4 ton variations . . . 6 lug and 8 lug . . . which have different brake sizes AND rear axle sizes.

In the prior times, the base 3/4 ton had 6 lug wheels and brakes/chassis a little heavier than the 1/2 ton trucks. Certainly an upgrade from a 1/2 ton, but not as much of one as the 8600 lb GVW HD 3/4 tons. The HD 3/4 tons had the 8 lug wheels, heavier springs, bigger brakes, etc. Pretty much like the 1tons had, but not quite to the same degree.

The 8600lb GVW also got it out of the EPA fuel economy rating game. Plus some emissions equipment, in some cases.

In the first years of the electronic automatic transmissions (think 4L80E), there were some issues with transmission cooling. Some of our horse-hauler customers complained about "free wheeling" going down grades in hilly terrain. As this was a significant part of our truck market, the GM Tech Assistance rep finally admitted to the "temperature override" in the software. Basically, when the trans fluid got over a certain temperature, the software would try go cool the trans . . . by letting it freewheel when ever you backed out of the throttle, even if you were descending a grade. The cure? The biggest trans cooler we could find and install it in front of the radiator, in addition to ANY other coolers which the truck might have had. End of problem.

A few years later, GM apparently upgraded the factory coolers or recalibrated the software as those complaints stopped. But it took a while to get that information out of Tech Assistance. In the mean time, transmissions were replaced under warranty . . . which did not fix the problem.

In the earlier times, we'd spec out HD 3/4 tons with 4.10 rear axles if they had 350 V-8s, 3.73 if they had a 454. With the way things are now, I think the least axle ratio for hauling would be the 3.42, but probably preferably 3.73 for heavier hauling. The taller tires will basically make these deeper rear axle ratios not act that way. Then came the fuel economy issues and some dealers put "highway gears" in their 3/4 tons (whose rear axle could tolerate 2.76 rear gears!!!).

Finding a HD 3/4 ton Suburban can be a chore! I know they existed with 454s, too. "Nicely Equipped", they were about $40K MSRP, back then. Although the price was higher than you might have expected, back then, it was one strong "war horse".

The other thing to consider for towing is to get a 4wheel drive model. This might sound unusual, plus being more fuel-inefficient, but with two axles with pulling wheels, it distributes the driving forces throughout the chassis rather than just having them focused on the rear end.

Just some thoughts . . .

NTX5467

I don't think I will EVER buy another vehicle with just 50,000 miles on it. That is the point where things start needing to be replaced, or the time where things start going awry, and the point where the warranty is gone. I have had better luck buying vehicles with 100,000 miles on them, but only purchasing from the first owner who has meticulously maintained it. At the 100K point, with a meticulous owner, everything has been replaced or fixed properly.

We just purchased a 1993 Suburban 3/4-ton with 454 and 123,000 miles. One-owner vehicle that is immaculate and can hardly be told from new. New tires, new trailer hitch, towing package, etc.

I sold my '93 Silverado that I bought new with 350 and 4L60 a few years ago with over 130K miles. I drove it moderately hard but maintained it by the book for the most part. The only things that needed replacement were the usual : filters, plugs, cap, rotor, front brakes plus (2) O2 sensors, (3) A/C cycling switches and one wiper control module. Everything else was as it left the factory. I could only imagine major things were going to start needing replacement or require repairs after 150K.

Guest Dick Whittington

Just purchased a 2011 Yukon XL with 5.3L engine. Just went to Baltimore/Balmer and averaged 20.6 running against a strong headwind from almost half the way back. Had a 1997 Yukon with 5.7L engine. The little 5.3 will out do it easily

The TBI is pretty reliable, but you want to avoid 1995s if you're buying used. The government tightened truck emissions standards that year, and GM already had OBD-II in the pipe, so they just changed the software on the computer to detune them to meet the standard - which also cost 3-5 MPG across the board, and they're down on power. I have a '95 G30 and while it's not a complete dog, even my well worn '91 Suburban would move better than it did. I got that one with 160,000 on it and drove it a year and only parked it when I realized a van would better suit my needs.

The ones to avoid are 1995s with a 4L60E transmission - the transmission has another solenoid added to the TCC engage so it will go in steps instead of just on/off, and it's a one year only deal. Those with a 4L80E, you can just swap in a 1991-1994 computer or chip and solve the problem that way. (of course my G30 is like a heavy 3/4 ton, so it's a 4L60E and the semi-floater 14-bolt rear).

Research showed me the 1990-1991 vans have the best factory tune for power and milage with a TBI, and I've talked to people who've reported close to 20 highway with them. So I went out and bought one now that the '95 has enough frame rot I don't think it would pass inspection. It has the same rearend ratio and driving it I can feel the difference already.

But before the vans I ran an '89 Suburban into the ground - it was a former school bus with 57,000 miles on it; I got 33,000 out of it in four years, including pulling as much as 7500 lbs behind a half-ton (a '57 Dodge wagon on a car trailer, loaded with parts). It finally got so rusty it wasn't going to pass another inspection, so I bought a nice 1991 - and I still have that, it's been sitting for about a year now. I like the TBI so much that I'm putting the motor/trans out of the '89 into my '50 Chevy, TBI system and all. (I know hot rods are kind of frowned on here, but this car is such a mess that it probably should have been parted out in the first place).

But my mother has a '95 C1500 that has 320,000 miles on it, and the rust is what's going to kill that one too. If you can find a solid older truck with low miles on it, you may be just as well off to spend the money on it even if you have to repair a few things. The new ones are nice, you're just opening yourself up for a lot of depreciation in price.

The ABS systems tend to be junk on these things, too, it's worth the time to plumb them out if you have to replace any lines.