"Flying A" goodies...

keiser31

My mother-in-law came across these Christmas carol books put out years ago by "Flying A Gas" company. She did not realize that I wanted them because they are auto related. Got three of them and all three are near mint as far as condition. Wonder what else she has hidden away...

post-37352-143138277237_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138277247_thumb.jpg

Gas stations (and most other businesses for that matter) no longer do any premiums or giveaways to attract customers. Not that there are many real gas stations left.

My dad divided his gas purchases between a Texaco that gave away S&H Green Stamps and a Sunoco that always had a giveaway of some description going on. He assembled an ironstone dinnerware set that we ate off of for most of my teenage years. I found a few pieces of it when I was cleaning out the house after Mama died. There was always some type of Christmas or other holiday record premium available, and I have a couple of of Goodyear and Firestone Christmas LPs that he got back in the day. Had to assemble the rest of the sets thru eBay and local auctions/estate sales.

The question begs that, even with the cost of the giveaways, businesses were able to make money back then. And not now?

.....The question begs that, even with the cost of the giveaways, businesses were able to make money back then. And not now?

Ah for the good old days when you pulled up to a "filling station" and were met by a neatly uniformed attendant that greeted you with a smile and asked, "Fill 'er up?" After which he cleaned the windshield and checked the oil level and asked, "Will there be anything else?" And thanked you for your business, and meant it. :)

Yes I am old enough to remember those days. :rolleyes:

That may be true in most cases but I'm not sure it is in my case. I started when I was barely 13 years old and remained full time until I was 16 and then hit and miss for the next several years. There were 3 people working there, myself, my uncle, and one other mechanic. I don't recall there ever being another gas jockey there. Admittedly I freed up my uncle and his mechanic so that they would not be interrupted while working on cars and telling stories of their wild, whooley, and wicked younger years.

Also, I was not there during school hours. I helped open the garage so that it was up and running at 6 AM. A school bus would pick me up and drop me off there. After school I remained until midnight when we would close it down. If memory serves me correctly my aunt would pump the gas while I was at school. Somehow I don't see me as being a very important employee.

All of this would have been from 1963 until the very early 70's. My uncle had a reputation as being a very good mechanic. That reputation included what was then considered antique cars. My uncle was born in 1913 and pretty much grew up with the automobile while it was still in its youth. He would let me do simple repairs on the older cars that were brought to him. I don't recall being allowed to work on anything newer than a mid 50's Chevy. I do have memories of working on model A's, an absolutely beautiful 1937 Cord, some Chevys from the late 30's and early 40's, a 1946 Plymouth convertible in near mint condition that was being used to go rabbit hunting. He also had me get greasy on old WW II jeeps.

I remember getting greasy a lot. I would remove the parts when I could and always was given the job of cleaning everything before it went back in the vehicle. That habit remains with me today. NOTHING goes back in until it has been cleaned and painted when applicable.

Memories. Thanks for giving me pause to recall them.