You gotta love it.

Guest windjamer

Guest windjamer

Had a 99 jeep in the shop today.Needed a right front drive axle,I punched in all the info on the computer to order the part ( we have a direct link to the supply house) and the computer ask me if the vech. had a vari-lok progressive dsb axle. What the he** is that? Called the supply house,what is it?? Ans dont know. Called the dealer, what is it? Ans. What is the vin.#.I gave him the vin.and after a minute he told me the vech. has vari lok progressive dsb axle. I thanked him and asked him what the he** is it? Ans. dont know,but you got it. You just gotta love it.:D

vari loc is a type of posi diff it operates on the oil pressure in the diff it has a oil pump built into the diff case instead of the clutches that are in the rear end it is just a smoother opreating diff . your jeep must have a full time transfer case and a v8 but have seen some in the 6cylinder jeeps also. splines are diffrent than the norm axles. never had much problems with them Only ever had one apart for any problems and it had been run out of fluid because of a bad seal and that was back in 99 which by the way was the first year for the axle

Guest Timthemailman

How many times do ya need a part and have to know more than the make/yr? Had 90' Pontiac 6000. Truck threw a rock thru headlight. Couldn't get lense, had to have whole assembly. They made about 6 different ines (front wheel dr.,4 wh.drive etc). Ordered what we thought was right & wasn't. 125 bucks for a 3 dollar lense.

Guest windjamer

Thanks Melvin,glad to know somebody knows what it is. Just one more reason why Im happy I quit turning wrenches. I tell all my friends if its newer than 1980 or foreign dont ask me,all I know is its broke.

I help out at my my old shop, locateing parts in the morning, gives me a place to go for free coffee. I dont mind if im asked if it has 2 or 4 doors, is it long or short box?? I figure the guy is trying to figure the wheel base,but when they ask if it has a sun roof I have to ask what the heck dos that have to do with a t/s switch??:eek: