1920's Vintag Truck Tractor or is it A Car?

Steve Hagy

Hi,

I shouldn't have bought this photo because I'm going to spend days trying to find out about the truck and the town! I am absolutely cluless as to the manufacturer of the tractor. Could it be an automobile cut down to pull the trailer (most likely a former horse drawn unit). Altering cars for use as fire apparatus was immensly popular during this era.

Besides the tractor can anyone identify the town? There must be someone on these Forums who lived in one of those houses. The style of the buildings is certainly what was built throughout the Midwest along with West Virginia, Pennsylvania and New York.

In addition to the usual fabulous prize that I award for a proper identification (nothing) there will be a bonus awarded to anyone who can provide an accurate length for the Lieutenant's mustache!

Take care,

Steve

post-55824-143138275473_thumb.jpg

Looks like a medium to expensive car from around 1910. The heavy wheels and straight wooden dash suggest it might have been a limousine. In the Standard Catalog of American Cars is a picture of a 1910 Corbin limousine which has similar features to this car - lipped front fenders etc. Just remove the rear half of the body including the roof, leaving the front seat in place - hey presto instant fire ladder tractor.

Howdy gang,

Thank you for the replies. The information that I have seen over the years leads me to believe that Cadillac was second only to Buick for use in the manufacturing of fire apparatus, so the Cadillac identification certainly makes sense. Now for the challenge of discovering which town this is....

Thank again,

Steve

Looks like a medium to expensive car from around 1910. The heavy wheels and straight wooden dash suggest it might have been a limousine.

P.S. Nz's statement is accurate. Expensive autos were better built than many (most?) fire engine chassis in the pre-1915 era. Dozens of auto manufacturers are represented as the chassis supplier for a hose wagon or chemical car. Thomas was a popular choice (Thomas and Cadillac might be in a tie for 2nd place.) but I have seen a good number of Wintons, Oldsmobiles, Pierce Arrows and Packards listed. Somewhere in the rubble I have a photo of a Chief's car that is a Corbin.

• 2 weeks later...

Check out, the radiator bottom with the angle ends, the slightly sharper angle on the top sides of the radiator, the shape of the starting crank, the running board support with the frame showing above the side apron, the box at the rear of the runningboad with door to get at the spring grease cups, the headlight socket on outside of frame horn, no name on hubcaps that are of different size front and rear, the timkin front axle with a very little dip in center, and the most noticable is the five spoke steering wheel. If you still don't know, use photoshop to lift the cloth on radiator to expose the Speedwell emblem, it is either a 1911 or 1912 equipped with a 5X5 engine 3 speed transmission and good for more than 60MPH in touring car form. The Speedwell was priced at $2500 to $2900 First time on do not know how to attach photo, do search on Speedwell and you will see all features.