Sign in to follow this  
Packard8

Source for 1954 & 1956 Bronze engine paint?

Hi folks,

Any sources for the bronze hi-temp engine enamel used in 1954 & 1956 Seniors?

The last quart I bought from "Vendor H" (for $50.00 plus shipping) did not gloss well and curdled when thinned with fresh, name brand lacquer thinner.

I have two engines to paint and am looking for an alternative source.

TIA

John

Benefits of AACA Membership.

lacquer thinner in enamel might explainone problem. I've had very good experience with the product when applied as directed.

This brings up an interesting question. What exactly makes paint "Hi Temp"? I have yet to have anyone give me a technical answer that makes sense.

lacquer thinner in enamel might explainone problem. I've had very good experience with the product when applied as directed.

The vendor's website recommends thinning with lacquer thinner. I also had good results with the same product in the past. I thinned it a bit more and gave another coat using a heavier mix on the gun and it came out better.

I'm not a paint expert , but I'll take a stab at the technical difference of high temp enamel (maybe this is an educated guess). The term enamel paint originally meant an oil based polyester that cross-linked. Now it's used for a variety of chemistries. Different materials will have different thermal degradation onset temperatures. So I would say the thermoset polymer is different in high temp enamel. If you've ever had the bright idea of getting paint on the exhaust manifold (guilty, long ago) you know that thermal stability has its limits