1965 Starfire Inquiry

Guest BJM

Anyone own a 65 Starfire coupe? I would be interested to know more aboutthem and see some photos. I am looking to purchase one in Oklahoma as a last resort to a deal gone bad but I can't get excited about it.

10 - 15 years ago I wanted a 65 Starfire in the worst way but could not find one or could not afford. (I only purchase projects and for some reason a non running 65 Starfire was $1500 to $2500.

The one I am looking at is just $500, is complete and straight, Oklahoma car on CL. (You can find it with a site mash search)

Weren't these all bucket seat console cars?

If you can help enlighten me, please advise

Yes, they are all bucket seat and console cars. They all have dual exhaust. Some of those duals exited through the 1/4 panel, some did not. They are the only Olds (besides the Jetstar I) with the concave rear window. Rear bumper is Starfire only and prone to rust through - and very hard to find.

His ad doesn't give a whole lot a detail, but for $500...

Paul

Paul

Thanks. Not a lot on 65 Starfires on the Internet. That fellow redid his Craigs List ad. 1st one said something like "pretty complete" and the next one said "minus motor and transmission" so not interested.

Much as I love the looks of the '65 Starfire, I'd like to suggest that you consider a '66 because it might be a little easier to live with in the real world. The taillights on the '65 are unique and probably very hard to find, and the rear bumper is also unique, as Paul mentioned. I think the rear quarters may be unique as well. The trim on the '66 is still Starfire specific but the sheetmetal should not be other than the rear window and c-pillars. Also, I think the '65s probably had the rochester 4gc carburetor... and believe me, the Quadrajet is _much_ more user-friendly! I had a shot at a friend's '66 Starfire about ten years ago and I didn't buy it for various reasons... regret it now!

Hope you can find one - or the other - there weren't a lot to begin with and there are fewer now... if I had a time machine, I'd go back and order a '65 Jetstar I with a 4-speed... and also a '65 Pontiac Catalina or 2+2! :) Then I'd fast-forward and equip them with disc brakes and variable-ratio power steering from the later cars (well, not the Pontiac, it would have the 8-lug wheels... no disc conversion for them!)

Paul, didn't all the '65s have the exhaust through the quarters when new? I thought they did, and figured the ones that I had seen with the exhaust out the back were just retrofitted for various reasons. (Glenn?)

They did. Most of the ones you see with it run out the back lost the extensions to rust or burnout. Those extensions in one piece go for big money now too.

The dig on the 65 exhaust is that the first 5000 or so had chambered front exhaust pipes with front and rear resonators like the 64 did, then about midyear they changed it. Probably part cost and part in response to a number of states (Vajenya among them) that were outlawing chambered pipes. The Commonwealth still has that stupid law on the books 40-some years later.:rolleyes: They better not look under my green 64, is all I'll say. Especially not as much as I spent duplicating that chambered exhaust/resonator system.

As beautiful as they are, the 65 is probably the most complex to restore because of all the Starfire-only pieces it has. It was for sure the most unique of the six years and probably the truest to the original Starfire concept of a limited production specially trimmed high performance automobile. The other years shared enough with 88/98 that they are much easier to find stuff for, and 61-63 at least have some of the trim reproduced.

The case with ANY Starfire is to get the best one you can find to begin with, because they are not cheap to restore if you have to find all that trim or restore a metallic-finished leather interior.

I appreciate these comments. I am a Buick guy, but in the 200+ cars I have owned I have had Oldsmobile, Pontiacs, Cadillacs and Chryslers. I restored a 66 Toronado and when doing so, really admired the 64-65 Oldsmobiles.

I wanted a 65 Starfire to go with my 66 Toronado. I am not a big 66 GM fan, and was told that the 66 Starfire was not a normal Starfire, but like a last year swan song car. You could even get them with bench seats, and I am not a fan of the body of the 66.

The same for me goes for Buick Wildcats. I'll take a 66 but would prefer a 65 because there is "more" styling, not so smoothed over as in 66 Starfires and Wildcats.

Even with some of the issues presented by you experts here, had the car had the 425 and TH400 I would have purchased for $500 but when he revised the ad to say no drivetrain, I have to back off.

Playing with house money so to speak this was a non typical purchase decision.

As for analysis of these 64-65 period cars, my favorite is the 64 Jetstar 1 with the concave rear window and Starfire power and that great Olds dash and GM buckets/console set up for 64. I could own a 64 Grand Prix or Jetstar 1.

But here I am a Buick guy and the Wildcat gets the faux convertible top look for 64. Buicks 64 dash lacked the details of the Olds and Pontiac dashes, not nearly as nice. But try finding a restorable Jetstar 1 for under $2,000, nearly impossible.

Wayal... a 66 is as much a Starfire as any of them, they were just trying to make it a little more "mainstream" with the new-for-66 Strato-Bench seat option. It's worth noting that ONLY the high-line B-body cars got it- Caprice, Starfire (maybe Delta but I don't think so), Wildcat, GP/Bonneville Brougham. Olds limited it to only three colors though- white, black and bronze.

Besides, Bryan, the 65-66 are for all practical purposes the same car with exception of the exterior trim details.

Keep a look out. These cars still show up in reasonable shape for reasonable money every so often. My Pontiac bud got the deal of a lifetime when he bought Rich Harrell's white 66. Harrells were thinning the herd and just wanted it to go to a good home, which it has. I often think I should have bought their 67 Toronado.

At the Harry Michlitsch auction in Webster SD coming up in mid September and which I am going - is a straight decent looking 66 Starfire. He has 2 photos of it on his website. One thing that really helps these cars whether offered or not is the SS1 wheelset.