Sign in to follow this  
emurray

Car maker, model in Dean Cornwell mural?

The illustrator and artist Dean Cornwell (1892-1960) painted the four sections of a mural at the International Labor Office (ILO) in Geneva, Switzerland. The mural was donated to the ILO by the American Federation of Labor, and includes an amazing representation of different manual and other jobs in the USA. Cornwell started his ILO murals in 1938, but World War II meant he did not finisth them until 1955. One of the section includes workers in a car assembly line with part of a yellow car, as well as another worker on an engine. The detail can be viewed in the brochure published at

http://www.wto.org/english/res_e/booksp_e/wto_building08_e.pdf

(page 25).

Does anyone know the maker and model of this car? Thank you very much indeed.

E. Murray

Geneva, Switzerland

<!--EndFragment-->

From the looks of the engine hanging above it, I'm going to guess 1955 Chevrolet. The car body hanging in the background is much older, from around 1940.

oldcarmural.jpg

the body appears to be a 52-54 Ford Fordor

1952_ford_mainline_fordor_sedan.jpg

cid_841CF52207A849EE88F421FE643E41E8@StannDianepc-500x310.jpg

The orange/red engine looks like a Y block Ford ...

cid_52833754C42744999D2820B5E8B8A541@StannDianepc-500x374.jpg

So I suspect the yellow body is actually a 54 Ford ... I would also speculate the partial body in the background is the same year, but a Tudor post, just minus the outer skins ...

I would guess that artist also toured the Ford Rouge plant in 1954 and got some impressions from there, much like the Diego Rivera murals in the Detroit Institute of Arts from many years prior (1932-33):

diegomural.jpg

Edited by Jim Rohn (see edit history)

Thank you very much indeed. In fact there are many similarities between this mural by Dean Cornwell and Diego Rivera's "Detroit Industry". I have not been able as of yet to establish a relation between both artists but Cornwell studied at Detroit Institute of Arts and left to New York before Rivera's arrival to prepare for his commission. I though it was a Chevrolet because Cornwell was involved with GM and received commissions from them. The comparison of both works is indeed very interesting.

oldcarmural.jpg

the body appears to be a 52-54 Ford Fordor

1952_ford_mainline_fordor_sedan.jpg

cid_841CF52207A849EE88F421FE643E41E8@StannDianepc-500x310.jpg

The orange/red engine looks like a Y block Ford ...

cid_52833754C42744999D2820B5E8B8A541@StannDianepc-500x374.jpg

So I suspect the yellow body is actually a 54 Ford ... I would also speculate the partial body in the background is the same year, but a Tudor post, just minus the outer skins ...

I would guess that artist also toured the Ford Rouge plant in 1954 and got some impressions from there, much like the Diego Rivera murals in the Detroit Institute of Arts from many years prior (1932-33):

diegomural.jpg

Our high school in Royal Oak, Michigan (George A. Dondero High School) had a Diego Rivera mural, I believe. It was similar to the one at the Detroit Institute of Arts.