Liquid for temp sender

Vette58

Does anyone know which liquid is inside the temp sender? Unfortunately the tube broke because the sender was not removable from the head.

Finally (after having the head on the workbench) it could be removed. I put the sender unit in the fridge to cool it down and removed the temp gauge from the car to repair it. I can try to solder the tube to the sender bulb but might be a good idea to refill enough of the liquid beforehand.

But what exactly is inside it?

Uli

I think it is alchohol. I know of two attempts to make this repair at home, with mixed results. I think you need to fill it under a vacuum, to make sure there is no air in the system. Then, you need a really quick and accurate way to solder it. It may be best to send this one out for repair.

Jeff

Guest simonmeridew

the fluid is ether, ( diethyl ether, the same stuff in starting fluid) highly flammable.

1933 Plymouth Temperature Gauge Repair

in this example of how to repair the capillary tubing, in preparation to tin the tubing, in step 6 you need to use an "anti-flux" to keep the solder from running into the tube. A good anti-flux is ordinary lead pencil graphite; just take the pencil and rub graphite on the part of the tubing you don't want solder to stick and put flux one the part you want solder to stick.

simonmeridew

I've diethylether now at home (50ml for $2) will now order small copper tube ($10)to make the repair.

I asked for repair here in Germany: 200$ and it will take 8 weeks

I'll share the result after finishing the repair.

Uli

...someone here who has a spare gauge & sender unit at home? :D (just kidding)