Project Omaha 1956 Eldorado Biarritz

Guest South_paw

What a great thread!!! Enjoyed it so far, keep it coming.

What amazes me is not only the restoration work, but the computer savey to post all this progress on this forum, plus the speed of the project. (Which is not the typical hobbiest's project)

Thanks for sharing.

This is a great example that shows you don't need a huge shop or lots of expensive tools to do a professional top quality job. It's the passion not the tools that make it awesome or awful. I've seen many a restoration done by a fancy shop that was awful and many true correct restorations done like this one with limited space and fueled by love of the car (with some insanity tossed in!), and it shows in every detail.

If I had a hat on, it would be off to you! I've owned over 40 Caddys (my 1st car was a 66 DeVile cvt) and yours is spectacular!

Guest South_paw

Thanks guys!

John.... A lot of folks said I was nuts on this restoration. I would say insanity is a key ingredient :D :D :D

Got the bumper installed. It needs some final alignment but it will do for right now. I did say the bumper will finish the car off. I'm afraid I jumped the gun. The fiberglass parade boot needs to be stripped and painted, then I will be finished :cool:

Here's some pics,

IMG_0482.jpg

100_4723.JPG

IMG_0492.jpg

Guest South_paw
Did you pick the "Gold" license plate on purpose? It would be perfect if the numbers were 197.

West, it was completely by chance. The plate was a gift :) Frankly, until you mentioned it, I totally missed it. Thanks for pointing it out.

Guest South_paw

Hi All,

Got the bumper all straightened out.

Here's a quick before and after..... ;)

Omaha, 2008

IMG_1950.JPG

April, 2011

100_4730.JPG

well done,she looks excellent.I see you have a black roof now is that original.the photos give me a great look of what mine will look like (but with black and white interior)do you know if there is a seperate fuse for the boot release,mine worked good until I put the roof down,motor still works but not the release plus she wont fire (god I hate electrics) as expected didnt get all the trim the main one is the upper rear 1/4 ribbed section,I found some but he wanted $2000 for them and I still have to replate( I contacted the guy I bought it off to get himto have a REAL good look for them)

once again well done (mine is body no. 1079)

Guest South_paw

Thanks... The black top was a tough choice to make for me. It was a battle of originality vs personal taste. Originality won out. The car left the factory with a black top and that is what it has now. You know what? I think I like it better than a white top. The black contrasting top gives the car a classy look.

The convertible top motor has a relay. You can find the relay behind the drivers side kick panel. I hope the seller finds that part for you. As you are finding out, a replacement is VERY expensive. There maybe reproductions available but no timeline was given on when that will happen.

The convertible top motor has a relay. You can find the relay behind the drivers side kick panel.

Are you sure? According to the shop manual, there is just a circuit breaker behind the kick panel. Anyway, my own Biarritz has no relay.

To robo: if the motor is turning, then you may have not enough hydraulic oil in the reservoir or the pump is not getting enough pressure. There is just one circuit breaker, no fuse.

sorry I may not of explained it properly,I disconected the roof struts and put the roof down by hand(not enough power or something) ever since doing this the power boot release wont work,I climbed through and pulled the catch pin out to open it and the close motor still works!

I must of shorted it out( all the sheehting is off the wires) didnt know if there is a hidden fuse or breaker somewhere for the boot

sorry I may not of explained it properly,I disconected the roof struts and put the roof down by hand(not enough power or something) ever since doing this the power boot release wont work,I climbed through and pulled the catch pin out to open it and the close motor still works!

I must of shorted it out( all the sheehting is off the wires) didnt know if there is a hidden fuse or breaker somewhere for the boot

OK, English is not my mother tongue, but I really don't understand what you are saying!

There is just one motor and pump to open and close the roof, all the rest is to be done by hand! Power boot release? Are you really dealing with a '56 Biarritz?

If you disconnected the roof struts, you can open and close the roof without the help of electricity.

Maybe a picture of what you are explaining would be a great help!

Now I understand better. Your first post mixed 2 issues...

Interesting enough, there is no circuit diagram for the trunk lock in the '56 shop manual, but there is one diagram in the '57 manual. Your problem is that the wiring from the switch in the glove box to the lock solenoid in the trunk is probably interrupted (by the roof?) The attached diagram will maybe help you; '57 must be the same or similar to '56.

Definitively, English from England or Australia has sometimes nothing to do with American English...

post-66721-143138503655_thumb.jpg

Guest 57flw

Wow Lou,

The final product is just beautiful.

When I saw the first photo of your car that you posted I thought it looked quite good and just needed a freshen up.

Then I saw more and seen what great work you did with the rust and repairs I was truly amazed.

Now that it is finished I still am amazed.

Well done to you.

I can only hope my car turns out half as good.

Ken

Guest speed and custom

live in nebraska omaha\lincoln used to the repair ,,,,,, beautifull job have 1961 olds 88 convertible dynamic s98 optioned.among others lol..love fin ...lol... great craftmanship gets me inspired thanks for sharing hows the car doing now?,,,speed and custom of ne

Guest South_paw

Thanks Guys.. Took the car out for test drive yesterday and the car performed great!

Here's the trunk release diagram I have. It looks to be the same as the one Roger posted.

56%20trunk%20wiring.jpg

• 1 month later...
Guest South_paw

Hi All,

Might as well finish off this build thread with a couple of all done pics.

IMG_0546.JPG

IMG_0543.JPG

Thanks for all of the support and thanks to the AACA for this great forum!

Guest South_paw

Thanks Guys.

Roger, the hard boot is in the trunk. I'm too scared to put it on :D Too many chances to scratch something with it. The previous owners (before restoration) used the boot all of the time. The car and the boot had the scratches to prove it. Do you have any tips on installing it :o

Guest speed and custom

glad to see congratutations.......a lot of cars in omaha hiding i buy them all the time lincoln ne original south omaha boy...1960