Sign in to follow this  
South_paw

Project Omaha 1956 Eldorado Biarritz

South Paw, Now I need to know if you have to spray the sides with wd40 to get her thru the garage door? Wow, I am still impressed, and always look forward to seeing updates

thanks, Pat

:D:D Pat, it's a tight fit alright :D It doesn't help that the car is white and the garage door cladding is white. It's hard to judge pulling in or out! :eek::eek:

104_4238.JPG

Lou, You have worked magic on that car. It's better than new! And the thread is very exciting with all the pictures and stuff. I do fear that you have made it sound so easy. I noted you said in the beginning you were working on it for two years, but that seems to get lost between the various updates. Still, thanks for showing how it should be done.

Beautiful job!

Hi Southpaw,What brand of paint did you use.? Was it single stage or bc/cc.Thanks Mike

Hi Mike,

I used a single stage acrylic urethane from PPG called Concept aka DCC.

HTH,

Lou

Lou, You have worked magic on that car. It's better than new! And the thread is very exciting with all the pictures and stuff. I do fear that you have made it sound so easy. I noted you said in the beginning you were working on it for two years, but that seems to get lost between the various updates. Still, thanks for showing how it should be done.

Beautiful job!

John,

Yes time does pass quickly in pictures. Some represent a months worth of work.

Thanks ;)

Do you have other pics of some of those steps? Things like the welding of the floor, the grinding, and how to remove and replace the quarter panels.

Hi lou, just caught up with your progress, Wow! Wish I lived closer so's you could do my paint. what a shine, you must be just a skip away from finishing now. Whats your planed first outing?

Steve

Do you have other pics of some of those steps? Things like the welding of the floor, the grinding, and how to remove and replace the quarter panels.

Hi John,

I took tons of pictures during the restoration in an effort to document my progress, unfortunately I didn't do it in a step by step format so a lot of the "how to" stuff isn't really shown. The Tri-five Chevy forum has a metal fabrication section. Give that a look, you will see some "how to's" for sure ;)

Lou

Hi lou, just caught up with your progress, Wow! Wish I lived closer so's you could do my paint. what a shine, you must be just a skip away from finishing now. Whats your planed first outing?

Steve

Stevie boy !!! Good to see you here! I'm so close to the finish I can taste it :) You know better than I do, all the little stuff is so time consuming! I'll start hitting the shows, next season. The last thing I want to do is to commit to a show and rush the car.

Lou

PS, how's your car doing?

Hi All,

The Batwing air cleaner is done. I stripped it down to the metal and then repainted.

IMG_0063.JPG

104_4366.JPG

104_4372.JPG

The steering wheel is completely restored and ready to go to,

104_4373.JPG

Getting closer to the finish :cool:

Thanks guys! It's my dream car for sure. Especially in the white and red combo. I think Cadillac was very fond of the combo as well. They used the same color combo, not once, or twice. They used it three times in their advertisements :cool:

4701120463_2765481547_z.jpg

56Cadillac07_jpg.jpg

3007352587_48049193e3_o.jpg

Lou,

Just to let you know I must have gone back 4 times now from the beginning of your thread here. It’s not everyone that puts so much effort into a restoration and your skills do speak for themselves. If you were close by I would be one of I am sure many that would love to stop by and learn a thing or two and more than likely be wanting to through in a helping hand at the same time. But maybe it’s not such a good thing either, I know that I myself have worked with different people through the years and have come to prefer to work on many technical and mechanical tasks on my own, it had always come down to quality and effort of the individual that has looked to assist. Anyway, I just wanted you to know that I really appreciate the skill and effort that you’re putting into this project, the quality/beauty that’s coming together is evidence of it. By the way, your story is without question a great motivation. Scott…

Thanks Scott! The motivation works both ways. Replies like yours help to get my butt off of the couch and back in the garage ;)

The doors are done! Sills, weather strip, wind-lace and door panels.

104_4378.JPG

IMG_0084.jpg

104_4411.JPG

and here is a before and after shot,

IMG_1955.JPG

104_4419.JPG

Hi Roger,

Yes the door panel was attached with nails. All new of course :) and the end is very near. Unfortunately it looks like I will finish the car just in time for the winter. Oh well !

Thanks Lou.PPG concept I plan on using that on my 62 ford galaxie.It will be Wimbledon White.Did you cut and buff? Thanks Mike

Hi Mike,

Yes the entire car finish was wet-sanded and polished. As noted earlier in this thread, be sure to get this task done within the first few days after the finish dries. If you wait too long the finish will become very hard therefor making your buffing job much harder.

Hi All,

Small parts yield big smiles. This is the best part of the resto, when every part you install really helps bring it all together.

Hood spears, quarter moldings and more door panel pics,

104_4440.JPG

104_4425.JPG

104_4426.JPG

104_4429.JPG

104_4430.JPG

Stunning!!

Almost makes me want to drive over to Omaha to see it! (from SE Iowa)

You are a master craftman!

Hi Lou,

I have managed to catch up with you on this site with a bit of help from Steve.

I sure did miss following your work.

As many others have commented you are doing a fantastic job and your post is such an inspiration for me with the restoration on my 1957 Fleetwood.

I will keep watching.

Regards

Ken