Sign in to follow this  
bofusmosby

'37 Pontiac About Paint opinions please

My car had been painted by the previous owner green. It is not the shade that was original for the 37, but the paint still looks pretty good, so for now its going to have to stay this color. Unfortunately, when the car was painted, he never had the engine compartmeent, the underside of the hood or trunk, as well as the inside of the trunk re-painted. The original paint color of my car was black, and these areas that were not re-painted has a combination of black, and surface rust. I am wanting to re-paint these areas, and was wondering what color I should re-paint them. In time (years down the road) I will be having my car re-painted back to the original color of black. I was thinking of painting these areas the original black, instead of the color green. This way, when the car is re-painted, I may not have to go through the added expense and trouble of re-painting these areas back to black.

I am concerned about how this will look with the car being green, and these other areas painted black. I am fixing up my car to be a driver, not a show car. However, who knows what the future will bring. In time, I would like it to be "historically" correct. Because there is quite a bit of surface rust, these areas do need to be painted, so I thought I would ask you what you thought about the color choice. I would appreciate any and all opinions on this.

Thank you!

Hi Jim, I read your post, since no one else commented I will. I think doing everything at one time would give the best results with only half the work, as the car would only have to be disassembled once. I would drive it as is then do everything at one time. Todd

Hi Jim, I read your post, since no one else commented I will. I think doing everything at one time would give the best results with only half the work, as the car would only have to be disassembled once. I would drive it as is then do everything at one time. Todd

I agree with Todd, why do the undersides twice !

Don

Thanks guys for the responses. My concern is the rust that is developing on the metal. The car was always a Montana car, but now with it being in Florida, I believe that the high humidity is affecting it. I am just wondering if it would look bad with the car being green, and the trunk and engine areas being black, like they ariginally were.

How does it look now to you with the black, ignoring the rust of course :rolleyes:? If you don't like how it looks then you could see if you can get the paint matched and paint them green. If you are okay with the black, but want to spruce it up, then I would go with black. If it will be years down the road before you have it taken back to black you will probably want it all repainted at the same time with the same paint anyway. :)

Jim, No it wouldn't look bad if it's done correctly.

Don

Agreed. Given your description I would say you could just clean up the rust and paint it with DP90 primer for protection, then redo it when you do your full repaint.

DP90 is a PPG epoxy primer of exceptional rust resistance and will dry to a semi-gloss-satin finish. It is expensive as primer goes, but great stuff. It does require spraying equipment. Todd

Thank you very much for your feed-back. I guess what I am really concerned with, is looking like an idiot at some show because of the color difference. I really have no plans to enter my car in any competitions right now (too much still needs to be done), but it would be fun to just show it to people. It is true that when I do have it re-painted, I will probably have it ALL repainted, not just the exterior. If its going to me a number of years before this happens, maybe I should just go ahead and paint it the same shade of green. That way, it'l match. Decisions decisions..........

Jim, The way I look at it if I were to come up to you at meet or local show, first I would be glad that someone hasn't hot rodded another old car (especially a Pontiac), and second by that time you and I would be locked in conversation and you would have by that time told me of your intentions so don't worry! Be glad you've got one ! A unmolested one !

Don

Your car would look natural with the under hood and trunk area painted black. Purists would know the difference but nobody else. If anybody cracks wise you have my permission to tell them to go to hell LOL.

Your car would look natural with the under hood and trunk area painted black. Purists would know the difference but nobody else.

I was about to say the same thing. Being black is a natural look, not like it was green with red underneath or something. As such, most people would not really notice. Plus, as we told MidnightFarmer with his Pontiac, more people then ever appreciate an authentic driver that is unrestored or an older restoration. I have told new hobbyists this is just the type of car to seek out and really enjoy the hobby, and good for you on being a preservationist--NO MORE street rods, please! Todd

PS--how is the brake job holding up?

Thanks guys, I appreciate the support. Black would be a lot easier for me, so maybe it'l be painted black.

PS--how is the brake job holding up?

Thank you for asking. The brakes are good, it just doesn't seem to have as much pedal as I feel it should. The pedal goes half way down before it engages the brakes. Mybe this is the way these old cars are. Plenty of stopping power though.

You need to adjust the brakes. There should be about 1" of free play in the pedal when they are adjusted perfectly.

After a brake job, or if the brakes were let get way out of adjustment, you can adjust them up and the pedal will go down in a couple of weeks as the brakes wear in. But if you adjust them again they will hold their adjustment for a long time, 6 months or a year for a car in regular service.

I like to adjust them up until the shoes are barely touching the drum when I spin the wheel . Then pump the pedal to centralize the shoes and check them again.

This is for a car that is used regularly. If the car is being stored it is best to back off the adjustment because otherwise the brakes can become frozen together by rust. A little rust is not bad itself, it will polish off as soon as you use the brakes. But if the shoe is too close to the drum they will grow together.

Check the hand brake and adjust it too, but only after you adjust the service brakes. This is the overlooked final touch to a brake adjustment.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

Thank you Rusty. When I replaced the wheel cylinders, the shoes were barely touching on all 4 wheels. I could hear them scraping a little when I turned the wheel. Maybe I should check this again.

I agree with Todd, why do the undersides twice !

Don

I agree, do it once do it right. You are dissatisfied with the appearance of the egnine bay, trunk area, and jams now, you are not going to like it any better later. I believe the data plate on the firewall that has a color code that indicates the car was originally black.

The color black doesn't bother me at all. What I am dissatisfied with is the rust that is foming because of the high humidity in Florida. I had the car outside in the rain the other day, and when I opened the trunk a few days later, there were rust stains on the rubber trunk gasket I believe that I will probably be painting it black, which is what it originally was. Unfortunately, whats left of the black paint is in bad shape.

I see Midnight Farmer got mentioned, so thought I would chime in here. Your 37 Pont. is a very good looking car. I say get rid of the rust and put some primer on it, like someone else suggested.

Hello Midnight Farmer, how is it going with your car? Any front end work yet?

BTW the show in Bloomington that I mentioned was quite good, weather was perfect and there were some very unusual antiques, including a Marquette, a Chandler and a Chalmers--kind of unexpected at a local show. Still hope to see your Pontiac around sometime, Todd C