54 Olds AM/FM/CD

Guest billythekidinny

Guest billythekidinny

I own a 1954 Olds. The dashboard is unusual in that it is concave (as is the 1955). Do any of you KNOW of a place that will either build for me, or modify my AM radio. I want to end up with an in-dash AM/FM/CD unit. I do NOT want a CD changer in the trunk. A unit handling ONE CD at a time is good enough for me. I plan to mount my 7 inch GPS screen to the inside of the glovebox door so when open, I can easily view it. I'm in the Dutchess County NY area. Thanx. billythekidinny

Edited by billythekidinny
Two extra unwanted letters appeared. (see edit history)

Guest bertthemech

Billy

sorry cant help re your radio problem but once owned a 54 olds 98 convertible (one of my favorite cars) and installed an under dash 45 rpm record player.

I may be able to help with other questions though

good hunting

Bert

All the conversions I know of use a separate remote-mounted CD changer, or some have provisions for an MP3 player. I'm not sure the 54 Olds radio dash opening is wide enough to accommodate a CD- it would require some serious surgery to the nosepiece and dial.

I can appreciate wanting everything in one unit, but in this case, I think I'd go for a glovebox mounted AM-FM-CD player and just keep the original AM for times when you want the warm sound of tubes. That or find a factory radio blankoff plate and have nothing but the modern concealed unit.

Edited by rocketraider (see edit history)

I had a modern stereo in my 53 olds and had it in the glove box,now on my 55 Ford I mounted the stereo under the seat on the drivers side so I could easily put in the CDs. I found a non working radio and a guy I work for converted the 55 radio into a remote to control the modern stereo,I can also use the remote for the stereo too.

Guest billythekidinny

I was planning on mounting my 7 inch GPS screen to the inside of the glovebox door, so when the door was opened, I could easily view it. billythekidinny

I would keep the original tube set and have it restored if necessary. Add a jack for input from a CD, FM or MP3.

Walmart sells cheap portable AM FM CD players for $29.95. They are made to run on a 9volt battery but will work perfectly well on 6 volts. I'm going to add one under the dash on my car, I already have a nice looking "vintage style" unit. Take the output from the headphone jack and input it to your tube amp section.

Or, you could pay some yahoo $600 to gut your radio, destroy its originality and throw in a Chinese $29.95 radio chassis. Anyone I know who had this done, says the new radio is tinny with poor reception and not as nice sounding as the original tube set.

Guest 1957olds

Custom Auto Sound will make a head unit that will mount into the original hole, no cutting, but it's only AM/FM of AM/FM/Cassette. They do make a new unit that also has MP3, USB, and iPod capability. You will be able to use any of these with their trunk (or underseat) mounted disc changer. No one makes an indash unit for many reasons which there's not enough time or space to explain it all. I have a '54 Super88 Holiday Coupe and a Super88 sedan for sale too.

Dave

Do you have an Ipod?

I have a 1957 Pontiac and wanted to upgrade. I listened to the $600 modified original radios at Hershey and I agree with Rusty, they did not sound that good. Then I heard of a guy in New York (who's card I cannot find just now). He said he could install an Ipod jack and do repairs AND an upgrade to the original AM radio sound for about $200. I just bought a new Ipod Nano with FM reception, so I have an original tube type AM radio that sounds like original but better, and can run FM and 2000 recorded songs at will, all with no unsightly equipment or altering the dash. If you are interested I will find the information for you, Todd